Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

repeating themselves?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM
  • 33 Replies

My husband looked it up and said it's pretty common on the spectrum, but my son will say something and then repeat it in a whisper to himself. He hasn't noticed that he's doing it unless we comment on it. My husband said we need to correct him when he repeats himself like that.

I told him I think I did it for awhile too when I was little and he said "maybe you had autism too"

It's been more prevelant the last week or two, not sure if this is something long-lasting or not.... anybody else have experience with it?

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I do not.  Hopefully these other ladies will have more for you. 

KatyTylersMom
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I think a lot of times our kids do this to let them process what they've said.  Since they often have auditory processing disorders it's like they're on a time delay even when hearing themselves talk.  So they'll say it over and over until they finally "hear" it and then know that they've said what they meant to say. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:15 AM
I'd ignore it personally. Because many times, drawing attention to a behavior just makes it worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I repeat things alot to myself - it's because I'm trying to process the information.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:38 AM

Dillon does the same thing....I make it a point to address it and ask him what he said or to ask him why he's whispering to himself. When he's thinking about something, he says he sometimes says it aloud but doesn't realize I can hear it.   =)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:50 AM

I agree here.

Quoting mypbandj:

I'd ignore it personally. Because many times, drawing attention to a behavior just makes it worse.

Macphee
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM
3 moms liked this
Yep, its called echolalia. Sometimes its a language processing mechanism, comfort, or form of stimming for my kid.
When he tries to process directions, he repeats them and does it. Sometimes he repeats books or movies from memory to soothe himself.
Lately, he loves screaming Alvin from the chipmunks movie to make himself laugh.
Sometimes he repeats to stimm, it becomes obsessive. He does this when he watches nemo or reads some books. He will sit for hours and repeat constantly.
I try to engage gimme in conversation or expand on what he says to snap him out of it. It used to be much worse.
singlemotherof8
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM

My granddaughter does it when we don't answer right away and even if we do. She has been doing it for a good while and i have no idea what to do about it. She also likes to play music but she will stop and start it over again even if she was listening to it.  In other words she may be listening to it and she may not it doesn't matter.

Idntreallycare
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

he has been repeating for awhile out loud, like "mommy, can I have juice? can I have juice? can I have juice" but now he'll whisper it to himself

Quoting singlemotherof8:

My granddaughter does it when we don't answer right away and even if we do. She has been doing it for a good while and i have no idea what to do about it. She also likes to play music but she will stop and start it over again even if she was listening to it.  In other words she may be listening to it and she may not it doesn't matter.

terri-553
by Terri on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

There are days that Thomas has re-peating all day,Telling him to stop has worked,So,I am guessing from here I have to let it go,and learn to deal w/it.Thomas hums for hours on end,this week-end it was all week-end from Saturday til he went home Sunday afternoon ,all week-end,It drives me nuts,oh well such is life

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN