Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

toothpaste suggestions please

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 24 Replies
My ds will not brush his teeth with toothpaste due to the strong mint flavor. Have any of you found a toothpaste that has little/ no flavor. He is 14 and really NEEDS to brush with something other than bubble gum flavor.
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM

We use the my little pony little kids one.  It's like a berry or something.  I've also heard some just baking soda as the texture can be more tolerable and there's not much flavor.  

MommyRJ
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:07 PM
My kids use a watermelon kids one. They love it. Bryley loves brushing his teeth because he likes the taste lol
Also I have a sensitive toothpaste and its not a strong flavor at all.
mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think you really need toothpaste. You could dip the brush in a fluoride mouth wash for flavor and/or fluoride.

Toms also makes a natural toothpaste in different flavors.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd go with Tom's of Maine.  Not only is it fluoride free but it comes in many different flavors. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:53 AM

I agree with Jen on this one.  Good luck!

iluvmychis
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I have this very same problem with my 16 year old daughter!  She claims all toothpastes burn her tongue.  I finally got her off the little kids toothpaste and on Crest Pro-Health For Me that is marketed for older kids.  She is starting to complain about that one too now though.  I remember when I was a kid, I went through this thing with toothpaste and my mom went and bought all these different travel size tubes of different brands til I found one I liked.  It was Gleem, I think.  Hard to find a lot of variety in the travel sizes around here though.  

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM
2 moms liked this

My kids use Toms, it is pretty mild, not a strong/harsh typical toothpaste taste.

heathers5500
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
DS 5 will only let me use Tom's
mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I actually got a crest pro health toothpaste that is marketed to teens from cm (part of their influencer program) and it is a milder mint flavor that my dd could actually tolerate. She hates regular mint toothpaste. I even liked it. BUT I was having problems with the skin inside my mouth peeling off (and that hurts!!) and my dental hygienist told me to stay away from all the 'pro health' toothpastes. Now I just use regular crest and I'm fine.

Quoting iluvmychis:

I have this very same problem with my 16 year old daughter!  She claims all toothpastes burn her tongue.  I finally got her off the little kids toothpaste and on Crest Pro-Health For Me that is marketed for older kids.  She is starting to complain about that one too now though.  I remember when I was a kid, I went through this thing with toothpaste and my mom went and bought all these different travel size tubes of different brands til I found one I liked.  It was Gleem, I think.  Hard to find a lot of variety in the travel sizes around here though.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Sep. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

My son uses bubblegum flavor 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)