Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok I need feedback

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM
  • 15 Replies

Ok, I will make this short and sweet, for me that is.  My son, is on the spectrum, age 10 he is verbal enough to get his point across most of the time, he goes to a private school I fought to get him in.  we live in MD.  Essential, he tests well, in fact better that 100 in his school and compared to other even typical students he tests in the top 10 percent.  No he is on the spectrum and Mild ADHD.  Our issues are social.  He is an only child, we entertain him and take him about, he has school from 8:45 and does not get home till 5PM, the trip to school is long and frustrating for him.  He is usually scream and loud on a bad day.  I want to get him in more social situation since that allows for visualization of appropriate behavior.  I tell him the rule of no screaming or yelling site down and listen to your music.  One day he just said to me, I have to talk, I have to use words.  I cant put him in afterschool social events in school they are deemed for aspergers only.  Looking are soical situation where he can deal with kids and do the normal give and take.  Any ideas.

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Sign him up for a sport or boy scouts. Karate and/or swimming agree individual sports, but he will still socialize. Soccer, basketball, any sport he shows interest in.
He will resist at first, but cooperative and interactive play is great for social skills. Him being an only child means he is used to being the only kid. Reach out to other moms from his school, PTA and such and get a play group going. The good news is that he's nearing middle school where they have math and s science clubs. What are his interests?
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Any groups he has an interest in?  YMCA, sports, art, church youth group?  We had a great weekend going to a high school football game, younger kids play in the field behind the stands.  I watched in amazement as my son played with the other kids.  Those natural opportunites are around if we keep looking....

kajira
by Emma on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Honestly, school hours for that long, make it too hard to add on to it. Really, he needs a lot of downtime after being at school for so many hours. I would use summer to practice social stuff, sports, whatever, but really, just give him a break after school. He's busy and on the go non stop all day, it's too much stimulation for him.

You could try getting him into sports, or a structured activity a couple of times a week like martial arts, but honestly, I'd just ask him if he'd prefer to be left alone after school, or to be involved in more... then listen to him.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kajira:

Honestly, school hours for that long, make it too hard to add on to it. Really, he needs a lot of downtime after being at school for so many hours. I would use summer to practice social stuff, sports, whatever, but really, just give him a break after school. He's busy and on the go non stop all day, it's too much stimulation for him.

You could try getting him into sports, or a structured activity a couple of times a week like martial arts, but honestly, I'd just ask him if he'd prefer to be left alone after school, or to be involved in more... then listen to him.

I agree that's a long day...
Jaimielorai
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Ok Ladies I need to bring another element in, My son is 10 and 5'8, he already is in puberty and genetically will hit 7 feet according to Childrens.  His dad is 6'9 the smalles to 5 boys, so we are dealing with movement and puberty.  His legs are bowed and they will correct that shortly.  I agree with the activities he was in football and it did wonders, but now we are looking at the legs and correcting so he will be out of commission for a few months.  I may just have to wait and allow downtime until he is on break!  Thanks everyone

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Has
Quoting Jaimielorai:

Ok Ladies I need to bring another element in, My son is 10 and 5'8, he already is in puberty and genetically will hit 7 feet according to Childrens.  His dad is 6'9 the smalles to 5 boys, so we are dealing with movement and puberty.  His legs are bowed and they will correct that shortly.  I agree with the activities he was in football and it did wonders, but now we are looking at the legs and correcting so he will be out of commission for a few months.  I may just have to wait and allow downtime until he is on break!  Thanks everyone

That is one alpha boy.Wrestling maybe. My neurotypical is also big for his age, 5 and is almost wearing size 8. He had bowed legs, still affects his coordination, but martial arts is great for flexibility and muscle conditioning. It helps nt withhis body. Flexibility, balance and coordination has improved. You can find a dojo that has worked with spectrum kids. This place we go to, the coaches are comfortable and patient with ASD son. They set up obstacle courses.
Check out dragon fly ASD, James Lee. This guyhas anAspie son and says never give up.
maciymommieof3
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

why would he not be eligible for "asperger's only" after school program?

maciymommieof3
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

autism in general has "social" disconnections.

maciymommieof3
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

at my school- we were able to form a "social help" group with the school counselor and that helped alot.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Any sport or activity. My older two were in Karate but I never signed D up. I always heard how beneficial it was. We did have him in Boy Scouts but were unhappy with the leader. I also was going to try putting him in 4H but still haven't done so.

I would only do these things during breaks in school or the weekend...D just wants to relax when he gets home...it's a natural destresser!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)