Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Call me mommy

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: Does your Autistic child call you Mommy/Daddy?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 19

View Results

Ok, so of all the things in the world and the newness of my son's situation (falls on the spectrum for autism after evaluation, we are awaiting a diagnosis) I can't help but get caught up on the fact that he has never called me mommy. I am trying so hard not to be selfish and make this about me because my life is all about him and making sure he is ok, but I can't shake the fact that I am so hurt by this. He is 27 months old and is currently in speech therapy. He has never called me mommy, ever. Any of you have a similar situation? How long was it before your child began calling you mommy or acknowledging your presence? He can't say a lot of words so I try not to take it personal. He does call his siblings ( my 2 daughters ) by their names though which he has been doing for months so that is pretty cool. Welp, sorry for my whining... Stephanie
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specmom2
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I would not worry. One day you will get that great gift my son gave me when he said I love you mom  clearly on Mother's day! My son is 22years old  it WILL happen to you.  I will rejoice on the day it does!!!!

Stephanie88B
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:47 PM

That's a long time to wait but I am sure it is worth every minute spent waiting.... I guess I need to learn a little more patience.

Quoting specmom2:

I would not worry. One day you will get that great gift my son gave me when he said I love you mom  clearly on Mother's day! My son is 22years old  it WILL happen to you.  I will rejoice on the day it does!!!!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Hugs! Give him time. My son has always had language so I was mama and then mommy and now mom but I am still waiting for him to say I love you without me having to say it first.. Some things only a parent of a child with special needs will ever understand.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Sep. 9, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Don't get too upset...my son probably didn't say mama until he was 2 1/2 maybe even 3. I didn't know he had autism until he was 4. He's 8 now & today was actually the first day my son called me "mommy" I've been "mama" for 5 yrs.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

My son with ASD does, but he was probably between 3-4 when he did.  My daughter with downs is 5 and we're still waiting for any words.  But I promise it will be just as amazing for me to hear if she says it at 10 as it would have if she'd said it at 1.  

If your son has language, it will come.  Hugs Mama.

maciymommieof3
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM

yep

jennymoon4
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 1:54 AM
My daughter just recently started saying mom. She is almost 7. Daddy has been a favorite word for years! It was a long wait, but I treasure hearing it everytime she says it now.
Stephanie88B
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:25 AM

BUMP!

Stephanie88B
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:26 AM

It's so hard to continue on everyday, and I never knew how much I treasure these little things until you don't have them.  A friend of mine has a 2 year old 10 days older than my son and her daughter called me mom.. it was both heartbreaking and funny at the same time.

johnns
by Johnna on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:31 AM
It will happen, give it time. Mine is almost 5 and is now just getting the hang of everyones name- including her own! This is a huge step, considering for the longest time we couldn't understand anything she was saying.

What's worse, when she was little little, she was addressing mama & dada- got shots and totally regressed. Didn't hear our names again for almost 3 yrs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)