Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

my son is getting a dog harness whether he like is or not

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 82 Replies
3 moms liked this
He has run off for the last time. He WILL wear a dog harness EVERYWHERE he goes!!!!!!! He disappears faster than you can blink.

Yay! I got featured!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady_katie
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Good for you! I don't know why society frowns upon this so much, but doesn't consider a crib to be the same thing as a "cage". Whatever! 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Safety first.
Im sorry he isn't compliant when you're out. That super hard. Do what you need to keep him safe. I wholeheartedly support you tethering your child to your side...
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM
4 moms liked this
Isn't my house a crate? I dont have free range! Lol

Quoting lady_katie:

Good for you! I don't know why society frowns upon this so much, but doesn't consider a crib to be the same thing as a "cage". Whatever! 

girl_incognito
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey, you know i am all for these things too! safety first.

Mine was a runner too and i had to use a harness

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe they are. that's why I co- sleep.

Quoting lady_katie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM
The thing is it's 1. Gotten worse and 2. it's more so when we're not at the local stores. It's when we are out of town. I wish I had room for a therapy dog for him.
Also my house is about to get bars on the windows because he crawls out them now.

Quoting SamMom912:

Safety first.

Im sorry he isn't compliant when you're out. That super hard. Do what you need to keep him safe. I wholeheartedly support you tethering your child to your side...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM
My oldest son needed one too when he was little. He refused to sit in a stroller. He refused to hold hands. And he wondered off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
He holds hands, he even stays on the same aisle I'm on unless mad or interested on something else and then he runs.

Quoting mypbandj:

My oldest son needed one too when he was little. He refused to sit in a stroller. He refused to hold hands. And he wondered off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
humbledmom310
by Kelly on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM
2 moms liked this
I think it should be determined by the childs mental age and cognition whether or not harnesses are appropriate. If you have a child who does not understand safety ...runs in the street ,does not see what is going on around them, ect.. then a harness is definitely appropriate to keep them safe. But if the running away is just a form of defiance and the child understands why they are not supposed to run off than I believe other means of disclipline should be used instead. A harness can be humiliating and could make defiant behavior worse instead of better...
Jnc91
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM

You're lucky he stays occasionally then. My son Is always running off or wandering away. He won't stay by my side at all. I got a pottery barn backpack-since they have a chest clip and a place to hook a leash on the back. It's not as babyish. It has gotten worse for us too the last couple months. 

Quoting Jenn8604:

He holds hands, he even stays on the same aisle I'm on unless mad or interested on something else and then he runs.

Quoting mypbandj:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)