Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does your child get distracted easily?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Amy
  • 11 Replies

Lately Colin has been getting distracted A LOT!  

I can't have the TV on, even in the other room, when he's doing homework.  

Last night I told him to take a shower and while getting undressed and taking his phone out of his pocket he got distracted and decided that was a good time to listen to the voicemail and play games on it.  No shower.

This morning he was told to shower while I took his sister to school (they start at different times).  Come home and he's sitting on his bed reading a book.  No shower.

Some days... I don't know what to do with him to get him to focus.  Any ideas?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Structure. I get easily distracted or overwhelmed if I don't have a list, and it takes practice sticking to the list and structure you create for yourself.

i.e. breakfast happens at the same time, then vitamins, then my chores, then family time, then emma alone time, then lunch time, more cleaning, chores, or any outtings... etc.

I have a flexible schedule, but a schedule that I stick too and sometimes it's hard to stick to the schedule/structure when stuff is stressful and I need more down/alone time than I'd probably otherwise get if I didn't just ignore some of my stuff and relax.

All I can say is remind him. Take the phone away and tell him he can have it back after his shower. That's what I have to do with my son, whatever it is that's distracting him, I just remove it and put it where he can see it and say "As soon as you do X, you can have it back."

That motivates him to switch activities and get done what he needs done, to get his desired object back.

I do a similar thing by rewarding myself with my video games. :P

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Depends on what he's doing...sometimes he does and other times he doesn't.  

jowen905
by Jan on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM

We have the same problem.  Right now he's in the other room doing math homework (supposedly) but each time I checked on him he's staring into space or playing with the pencil.  I just told him that I am not going to remind him anymore tonight to stay on task and if he wants to "dawdle" then he'll still be doing math at midnight!  With no time to play Wii tonight.       Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...he seems to be pretty focused the last 10 mins. since I told him that. 

He is hard to get up in the morning, so the other day I told him that I will come in his room twice to help him wake up but no more than that.   If he doesn't get up on time, then he'll miss the bus.  Fortunately he still cares about not missing the bus, so he's been getting up much easier!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM
My son is the same way & like Emma a schedule really helps him.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Yeah, he needs to be redirected often and does do well with a schedule 

emarin77
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM

How long has this been occuring?  Sounds like a loss of attention to his ADLs (activitys of daily living).  Have him evaluated for ADHD.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I discovered part of my son's problem, at least with the homework... he's got a minecraft window open on the computer as well as the school page he's supposed to be working on.

Quoting jowen905:

We have the same problem.  Right now he's in the other room doing math homework (supposedly) but each time I checked on him he's staring into space or playing with the pencil.  I just told him that I am not going to remind him anymore tonight to stay on task and if he wants to "dawdle" then he'll still be doing math at midnight!  With no time to play Wii tonight.       Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...he seems to be pretty focused the last 10 mins. since I told him that. 

He is hard to get up in the morning, so the other day I told him that I will come in his room twice to help him wake up but no more than that.   If he doesn't get up on time, then he'll miss the bus.  Fortunately he still cares about not missing the bus, so he's been getting up much easier!

drowningmama
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Neither of my asd boys gets distracted easily.  But I know some that do.

Blueluvr
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

This may sound really corny but the only way I get my kids to do things is I have a dry erase board and we have magnetic ... words (with pictures, they cant read yet. lol)  And jst make a long line across.. and I put the picture of what needs to be done.. I do it every morning and afternoon before they get home and when they arent looking before bed. So for example.. 

Morning  ( all clip art pictures I printed from the internet and stuck a magnet on the back)

Toilet (to pee) > a face brushing teeth> a shirt and pair of pants > socks > shoes > breakfast> backpack.

Mornings are the longest when it comes to the number of steps. BUT this is actually that ONLY thing that helped my son END his day. He had a VERY hard time ending the day. So once we started the routine for him to SEE.. it helped a lot. I let him take the magnets down once he completes each step. Maybe it could help for you.. SO SORRY SO LONG! Good luck!

And yes.. my son is VERY easily distracted. I try to hide every dinosaur before he wakes up. Lol!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM

visual schedules are good for this type of thing. Is he taking any adhd meds? I'm like this all the time. I talk to myself pre-doing something and as I am doing it, I talk out loud to rmind me the steps that need to follow.

I can't the tv on either. It drives my dh crazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)