Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

talking and autism

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 13 Replies
my son reyen will be five in January he has just started repeating words , humming to music and repeating favorite parts of movies.. i get so proud over the little things what he is learning how good he is doing socially.. he is a great son wouldn't wish for anyone different ..but sometimes i just wonder will he ever be able to tell me how he feels ever be able to verbally communicate with us and people around us .. now my son makes it very clear what he wants needs l jokes etc i just would like to know what he thinks about what makes things different for him of course no one can say he will or will not ever be able to talk completely but just curious how many children with Autism start talking really late what is the percentage that talk all together any answers advice anything would be appreciated in just having one of those days :(
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Bad.Wolf.
by Megan on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM
My 5 yr old DS does the same thing as yours, just keep working with him. Ask him if he's hungry/thirsty, does his tummy hurt, etc & hope for the best :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I'm an autistic adult, and I talk okay, but I prefer typing as verbal speech limits my ability to communicate effectively.

demeter3378
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM

my son is 8 and is still completely nonverbal. I would give anything to have him say anything at all. I would think that since your son is saying some things there is a pretty good chance that he will get the hang of communicating.  Every child is different so just one day at a time.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Make pictures of faces showing different feelings; happy face, sad face, angry face and sick face.  Teach him the words that you use to describe each face.  My son now at age 5 tells me when he is happy, sad, or angry. 

Bajanmama
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this

My son Ian is 12 now. At 5 he was still non-verbal, but then he started saying the names of his brothers and sister, mostly when they were in his way. It was a complaint. Now he says what he expects you to say to him and he tells me what he wants. He doesn't understand questions, or talk about feelings. He will cry when he is upset, and clap or sing when he is happy.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM

My son is 6 and he has just started talking. I'm not worried about the future, I'm just focusing on the now. I don't know if he will ever be able to tell us if he is tired or hungry or whatever. I do know the fact that he can tell us what he wants is amazing. It's better than it was before he could tell us what he wanted. Lots of frustrated screaming. Just keep up with whatever it is you're doing and wait for progress. I know for us, progress is slow, but it's there!

johnns
by Johnna on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:07 PM
My child is almost 5, with just special ed preschool, her vocabulary has just tripled. Its just been in the last year that she has been able to say all our names. I can tell she tries very hard to communicate- like she used to repeat you- like I would tell her "goodbye Sally" and she would reply the same thing. Now- she stops and thinks about it, stops herself and says "goodbye mommy". I've waited so long for this!
Hang in there, just a little bit of speech gives me hope.We've always wondered the same thing- her being able to speak her thoughts, its slow going but I think were getting somewhere!
Jodee24
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Mobile Photo

Just joined this site. My 20 month old daughter was just diagnosed and I was wondering the same thing about talking (bc she is non verbal now)
Stephanie88B
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:08 AM

BUMP!

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM

My son was nonverbal until almost 6 years old. He grunted and pointed (not always in the right direction) until he got into kindergarten. His teacher, aids, and Autism room teacher all worked with him on sign language (something we had tried but he never bothered to learn with us). After about 6months to a year of him signing, he verbally spoke. 

It was frustrating. Mostly because we tried sign language for around two years, and nothing. (my oldest had a friend that was mute, he signed. My son wanted his friend to feel normal and not need an interpeter with him, so he wanted to understand sign language, and we decided as a family to learn. But our ASD son just never got it. Until we sent him to school....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)