Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Therapy

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 28 Replies
How often does your child receive one on one therapy?
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM

None. and neither do I as an autistic adult.

For our family, it wasn't a good fit. As a child, it caused more problems than it helped for me, and while I did put myself into therapy as a grown up for a couple of years, I found it wasn't very effective for me. 

I was recommended as an adult that I still should get speech therapy because my speech patterns and social skills were so low though.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM

weekly speech and ot outside of school, then a couple times a week during school.  there is also 1 home therapy we do up to 5 times a week at home that is one on one.

Mony0709
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I am currently looking for a speech pathologist for my daughter to receive additional help outside of school.  My biggest question is how can anyone afford these therapies? Everyone I call does not accept insurance and the hourly rates start at 115 an hour!  Not to mention that she needs behavioral therapy as well. 

QueenCreole313
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I don't understand why no one takes insurance either. It's ridiculous.
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Every day at school full time

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

My son goes to ABA 5 days a week for two hour sessions. Those are one on one. He also receives speech therapy, OT, and recreational therapy at school. I can't remember how many hours he gets a week of those. But, he gets lots of attention!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM

daily at home. He gets ABA 5 days a week. He get speech once a week. He get Ot 2 times a month at school and speech once a week at school.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Are you looking for an individual private therapist, or are you going to centers or other large organizations dedicated to specific therapies? I've only ever had a problem with private therapists. The ones I used worked with us to become a provider on our insurance plans. The ABA center I take my son to accepts medicaid and insurance. They weren't a provider for our insurance but they did all the requirements so we could start therapy. If you don't live in or near a city, it could be a reason why you are having a hard time. So far, we haven't paid much for therapy.

Quoting Mony0709:

I am currently looking for a speech pathologist for my daughter to receive additional help outside of school.  My biggest question is how can anyone afford these therapies? Everyone I call does not accept insurance and the hourly rates start at 115 an hour!  Not to mention that she needs behavioral therapy as well. 

smarieljlee
by Sara on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM

None. We do not have her in any types of therapy at the moment. Besides her riding of course. She has recieved OT/ST in school and private CBT in the past

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:53 PM

My son gets OT outside school 1x per week 100 out of pocket. 

He also gets ot at school 2x45

he gets p/t inside school 1x45 and

I have him taking swim lessons every Saturday mid morning, 

He sees a psychologist 2xs a month. 250 out of pocket. 

He sees a social worker in school in a group of 4 boys for social skills help. 

I have recently looked into a social skills group about 30 minutes away Friday afyernoons for 10 weeks at 1300 dollars. Im undecided. 

My son also belongs to a sensory gym. It 500 for 10 visits. Its about 30-40 minutes from our house. They are wonderful... But its hard for him to go afterschool. So, weekends and holidays. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)