Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Beige food only! Need advice

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:06 PM
  • 7 Replies

Mobile Photo

Any advice? My daughter will only eat beige or crunchy food and will only drink milk! Anyone have an extreme picky/sensory eater and/or advice?!
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM

We never dealt with feeding issuesbut my friends little boy who is on the spectrum had food therapy with his OT and it really helped. Good luck!

reyen09
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM
my son only eats grilled cheese fries scrambled eggs and cheetos.. he had been doing food therapy and working with a ot i bought brushes from babies r us that are supposed to help u have to get them used to different textures before some can tolerate new food my son used to vomit at the sight of any other food now he will touch it.. won't taste it yet but working on it !!
Jodee24
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Thank you for responding. May I ask how old is your son?
heathers5500
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Feeding therapy
mepuck237
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this
They have a feeding therapy depending on the state you may be out on a waiting list. In colorado the waiting list is like 2 years out. My son is extremely picky. His ot gave me a few ideas just to help add variety. once a week I make a plate with 4 items on it. 2 items will be things he likes and the other 2 will be things he hasn't had. i will tell him if he eats one of the items he hasnt had then he gets 2 things of what he likes. I try to get him to taste all of them but if he won't taste it then I will ask him to kiss it that way he gets alittle on his lips. Also i just do tiny portions so that he doesn't get overwhelmed. When I first started doing this my son was annoyed with things he didn't like even being on the plate but now he tolerates it and even eats it sometimes. Give it at least 3 times of trying an items before you put it in the dislike catagory. Not everyday will be a success so try not to be discouraged. Good luck
Simran81
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Couple of things we tried 1) adding purees to food - book deceptively delicious by jesica seinfield 2) play with different textures like playdough, stickers ( a year back my son wouldnt touch these, but now has no issues) , moon sand, foam, sticky hands, finger paint, shaving cream, bubbles, soap water, ice, raw eggs, shredded paper, etc. M trying to get my son play with food like putting peas in a bottle as he doesnt like touching wet food like fruits.  3) OT ? We have just started it, but it already looks promising.

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

So a few things - one is that my now 3 year old son was and still is a very picky eater.  He also wanted mac'n'cheese, milk MILK MILK MIIIIIILK, anything crunchy but easy to chew like crackers or chips, and then other easy-chew things like canned fruit and yogurt. 

When we got him diagnosed we immediately went gluten and casein free.  He tested (IgG allergy testing) as sensititve to about 25 different foods including all wheat and milk products so we removed EVERYTHING.  Our kids tend to crave what they are most allergic to and gluten and casein (the proteins in milk and wheat) have a nasty tendency to not get digested properly and turn into opiates.  So basically everytime I was giving my kiddo a nice bottle of milk, he was getting high.  And we could see it - he'd get tired, want to just lay around, wasn't engaged, was even harder to get engaged in activities, and was generally in a fog. 

When we went GFCF he had no more painful constipation (which had been a problem with him for over a year at that point) and he really became alert, interested, stopped sleeping during the day (he'd wake up at 9am, nap from 11-12, nap again from 2-4, and be in bed by 8pm always looking tired the entire day).  It wasn't actually very hard to find food substitutes for him b/c he wouldn't eat much stuff so we just had to look for things to replace his 10 items of preferred foods.  If you are interested I'll go into more detail but suffice it to say that chips are chips whether they are made of corn or potato, many hotdogs are GFCF, and Whole Foods is a lifesaver with premade foods that are fully GFCF. 

NOW.  You have narrowed down what qualities of the foods she eats are important and that's a great first step.  She likes cruchy and she likes beige.  Maybe go a few steps further - carrots are crunchy - are they ok with her?  If not, then maybe it's that they are HARD to chew (as opposed to a chip which while crunchy, breaks apart pretty much instantly in her mouth).  So then you are looking at more of an inability to eat those foods.  My son has this issue where he doesn't like to have to chew his foods a lot - it's hard for him and the pressure on his teeth is unpleasant.  So while he might eat a carrot CHIP, he will not eat a carrot. 

For my son he also cannot handle the texture and chewing of meat - it's too tough and hard to chew.  So we give him organic, nitrate/preservative free hotdogs b/c the meat there is all chopped up and no longer tough to chew.  So he'll eat them without complaint.  The same for chicken nuggets (corn coated in this house!) - the chicken is all cut/mashed up so it's easy to chew AND nicely crunchy on the outside (Ian's Brand is the SHIZNAT).  I have gone so far as to wrap pieces of hotdog inbetween two chips or corn chex cereal pieces.  If she needs that crunchy sensation to be ok with what's going in her mouth, there are always ways to get it there!  I mean you could take cooked carrot pieces, crunch up chips or chex cereal, and bake/fry them kind of thing.  I am a sucky cook but even I can fry :P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)