Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Thanks, Mom. /sarcasm/

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 8 Replies

So...my HFA 9 year old hugs me.  A LOT.  Which is fine, but she hangs off me sometimes like a baggy t-shirt.

My mom makes a sarcastic comment this morning, saying "Well, she's more affectionate than YOU ever were."  She tells me how, as a baby, I would push away from affection.

I don't remember this, but as I've mentioned before I think I may be at least a little Aspie.  I'm not a hugger.I always feel like no one really wants to hug me either, so outside of my children and occasionally my hubby, I'm not really physically affectionate.

No matter how my mom thinks that SHE is, she's not either.  It was like hugging a young, skinny tree growing up.  Very little warmth, like she was uncomfortable too.

However, they way she said that comment was like I was the one defective -- you know, at 2 months old, or whatever age I was in her story.

THEN, I go into the bathroom and...well, it smelled terrible.  I mentioned it, and she said that my ASD 5 yr old son had diarrhea, and that she had to clean him up.  I said, "And you put him on the bus?" (She helps get him on his bus while I help his sister get ready.  He had just left.)  She said, "Well no one ever told me I shouldn't!"

What the...?  She's in her 70s, for Pete's sake!  She wouldn't have done that to me...I don't think so, anyway.

So far, no calls from school, so maybe it was just a fluke (which happens a lot).  Still...

With "support" like this, is it any wonder that I'm at my wit's end?

~ Vent over. ~

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
puertoricangeek
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry. I do understand when your mother is the one that "tried" so hard and you were the "problem" and your 5 year old, I mean really? Why would she think that was okay to do? We just show affection in different ways. 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry mommy (((hugs))) We lived with my parents for 3 yrs & it was not easy. Hugs!
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
She's probably on the spectrum too.
But hugs! sorry things are so hard w her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMom29
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jenn8604:

She's probably on the spectrum too.
But hugs! sorry things are so hard w her.

Could be, but she's had a rough life (abuse, abandonment, etc.) so I really think that's skewed her life view.  I do think she's ADD/ADHD though.  That doesn't help any. 

Thank you all for your hugs and kind words.  I really needed that today.

AMom29
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Quoting puertoricangeek:

I am so sorry. I do understand when your mother is the one that "tried" so hard and you were the "problem" and your 5 year old, I mean really? Why would she think that was okay to do? We just show affection in different ways. 

My son apparently did have an issue at school, but he never alerted the staff that he had an issue (he's non-verbal).  They discovered it on their own, but I guess since it was toward the end of the day they just decided to change him and move on.  I found the soiled pants in his backpack, tied up in a plastic bag.  Ugh.  Just love opening THOSE presents.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Oh no! Is he feeling better?

puertoricangeek
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I am so sorry.

Quoting AMom29:

Quoting puertoricangeek:

My son apparently did have an issue at school, but he never alerted the staff that he had an issue (he's non-verbal).  They discovered it on their own, but I guess since it was toward the end of the day they just decided to change him and move on.  I found the soiled pants in his backpack, tied up in a plastic bag.  Ugh.  Just love opening THOSE presents.

AMom29
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Quoting Charizma77:

Oh no! Is he feeling better?

Physically, he seems fine today.  We had a couple of HUGE meltdowns today, though.  My nerves are fried.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)