Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Your Child and Halloween

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM
  • 35 Replies

How does your little one handle Halloween? Are they able to go out and trick or treat or do they prefer to stay home and help pass out candy?

Will they dress up this year?

Does anything about Halloween scare them?

As for us, Aidan does like to trick or treat, loves to dress up and so far the only thing that seems to scare him are the large furry spiders you see at Halloween stores as decorations. He doesnt run or scream at them, he'll just walk in another direction if he sees one. 

happy halloweendraculaboo

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM

My kids love costumes and trick or treating. :o

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Last year was the first year we went trick or treating even though the kids dress up every year.  The dress up part is ok, but the holiday party at school with all the extra parents, student parade, etc was a giant meltdown for my son.  Then the actual trick or treating, much of the same thing.  If the house had no line, he would go up with his brother and sister, but any kind of line he would not get out of the stroller and cowered and cried.  He also could not eat much of the candy because of his nut allergies, so that was not fun for him.  But of course mom had a pocket full of tootsie rolls for him as we went along.  This year I expect the same.  He already has his costume and is excited, but it will be the same once we get by all the people. 

wildchild.com
by Janine on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM
My son loves it now...but he didn't go 2 yrs in row because he was scared. I have to hang onto him because he trys to run into the persons house.
lucasmadre
by Kari on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM

It is better every year but it is a stressful night for my boy. He is scared and unsure about the whole thing, he is usually really relieved to be home but spends weeks on his costume. That part he loves...never eats his candy...just forgets about it after the first night. One or two pieces...

SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, Aidan did that several years in a row. I'd have to act quick or else he would have made himself comfortable in someone else's house. Last year he didn't do that, so I'm hoping he doesn't try it this year. 

Quoting wildchild.com:

My son loves it now...but he didn't go 2 yrs in row because he was scared. I have to hang onto him because he trys to run into the persons house.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Dillon has in the past, but just doesn't want to anymore. We don't get trick or treaters at my house becuase we're ona private road with only 3 houses. I feel bad but dont want to torture him by making him go!LOL!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Ashton enjoys it but he always asks the poeple handing out candy if he can go in their house or wants to have conversations with the,. He usually has them laughing. One year he told them the other house had better candy and he will tell them that at the one house they gave me 2 pieces. He is a very blunt child but still manages to be charming at the same time.  People end up giving him more candy.llittle stinker. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Ashton has tried that too! 

Quoting wildchild.com:

benny1031
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM
My so has asd he loves to dress and go trick or treating the only thing if the house has really scary ardecorations he will not go he will go to the next one he doesn't scream he will just walk by . He just loves going up to the door and saying trick or treat.
jowen905
by Jan on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM

My son's 12 now and he asked if he could still go trick or treating this year.  When he was 2 and 3 he would hide behind me at each house but he enjoyed wearing a cosume.  Around 4 he became terrified of any scary costumes on others.  By age 5 and 6 he was running up to each house to get candy and by age 7 he would go up to people in scary costumes because he thought they were cool.  The last few years he has only wanted to be a scary (or gross, blood-encrusted) creature - The Emperor of Evil, a zombie, etc.

Times change!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN