Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Gluten Free???

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Does your child have a Gluten-Free or Casein-Free Diet?

Options:

Yes, and I found it helpful

Yes, and I did not find it helpful

No, I haven't tried it yet

No, I do not think it will help

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 13

View Results

The research is mixed and I know how to find it, both good and bad reviews.  Share your personal experience please.  Did you try it for your autistic child? Did you see improvements in their behavior and overall health? If you did try it, for how long?

I have researched it like a mad person and now I am just looking for experience of parents who have tried it.

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:50 PM
We did try the GF diet. It improved a bit, then we started having issues with his nutrition. His appetite tanked and he lost weight. As of yesterday we are reintroducing gluten to see how he is. He is eating like he hasn't seen food in a month. We'll see how the week goes though. It's all trial and error. Just because it worked for some doesn't mean it will for all. Just move onto the next and don't get discouraged.
Stephanie88B
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I am in the beginning stages of trying it.  I just spent $200 on food and hardly got any food so so far I do not like the cost of it.. but I am still keeping hope and trying everything.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

We did try the GF diet. It improved a bit, then we started having issues with his nutrition. His appetite tanked and he lost weight. As of yesterday we are reintroducing gluten to see how he is. He is eating like he hasn't seen food in a month. We'll see how the week goes though. It's all trial and error. Just because it worked for some doesn't mean it will for all. Just move onto the next and don't get discouraged.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM

We did it for a year but it was the worst year we had with Ashton and I was pregnant and since his blood work was so borderline for a gluten intolerence we just took him it off of it. My hubby is GF (celiac) so I may try it again with Ashton down the road. We are in a much better place than we were that year we tried it.

KatyTylersMom
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 12:55 AM

We have been GFCF for about a year and a half now and have seen excellent results with my son, few if any results with my daughter.  With my son removing milk immediately cleared up his extreme constipation, and after just a week we saw big changes in terms of his awareness, alertness, interest in his environment, better eye contact, interactions were better, and mostly he appeared to feel better and was far less sleepy and constantly exhausted. 

yankie2911
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I am definately interested in trying. i checked and many of the things he eats has gluten so it is hard. i am waiting to meet with a nutritionist to help me with his diet. hopefully in the next week or so. i didnt want to take anything away without a legit replacement. (because he doesnt each much as it is) 

he definately had major constipation issues when he started cows milk at 1 yr. so i am going to start with that. i did a small gluten diet not long ago, added a suppliment drink, along with a wider variety of juices and felt he did do better (mostly in the #2 diapers lol) i believe in the gut theory. maybe not a cure but definately helps him when he is not suffering from constipation!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Haven't tried it and have no interest in trying it right now:)

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM
It has helped Logan a lot. However, I saw more of an improvement when I got rid of dairy than the gluten.
moodymelody
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I haven't tried gluten-free on my Aspie child, but I have tried it recently for myself. It takes about 4-6 weeks for the gluten to leave the bloodstream I am told. I've tried it in the past for gastro-intestinalissues but always had trouble sticking firmly to the diet (it must be cut out completely for accurate results). I tried again Aug./Sept. and stuck to my guns. I kept saying to hubby, "I don't think it's working", I still had gas and other symptoms possibly linked to celiac/gluten intolerance. But beginning of Oct. was my son's birthday, so I gave it up to partake in his birthday burgers and cake. A couple days later I had 'normal' pasta. Next day my gas was terrible. And hubby made the comment, "you've started snoring again, too". I have never heard of snoring as a symptom! Also noticed my RA was acting up again, and I hadn't noticed it at all during my gf time.
Anywhoo, I am convinced it works for me, and since it has been linked to autoimmune disorders, something both my Aspie son and myself have been DX with, I WILL be trying it with him!
BTW, I was tested for celiac and it was negative.
moodymelody
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Quoting newmommy430:

It has helped Logan a lot. LookHowever, I saw more of an improvement when I got rid of dairy than the gluten.

I remember a celiac telling me she had issues with dairy as well but after being gf for a while she was able to reintroduce some low-fat dairy. I always thought milk fat was my issue but could never make a definite connection to that as my only intolerance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)