Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Things NOT to say to 'us' an Autism Parent.

Replies (161-170):
rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:29 PM

That's my older son...I like things spicy...he hasn't tried a hot sauce he doesn't like...and 2 hours to eat two tacos is just a little extreme...but hey...he's eating...so I'll live with it.

Quoting Basherte:

MIne actually likes things spicy.

*giggles* Spicier than I can handle anyway. 

That's really good that he'll try almost everything. Way to go Mom!!

It's okay if it takes a little while to eat. We are supposed to eat slower that way we don't eat quite as much. And we should always enjoy our meals instead of wolfing them down. It's a good thing.

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Good for him. Mine won't try anything he thinks might be spicy, otherwise he'll try almost everything now...but it sometimes takes an hour or two to eat because of the texture of it...

Quoting Basherte:

I try to get my son to try a lot of different things. I won't force him to do so though. Whenever he wants to try something, no matter what it is, I allow it. *giggles* He wanted to try capers. Nope, don't like those alone. Poor boy. He chewed it up a little bit before taking it back out of his mouth though. I was proud. He at least tried it. 

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Same rule in my house. Except for peas...my mom loved them and I like the taste but the texture makes me gag and vomit...so I never had to eat them...

Quoting Basherte:

I'm lucky in that my youngest will try new things, he just tends to not like any of them. As soon as he does like something "new", we add it and keep giving it to him. Then switch it up, but if we stop giving it to him for too long, the next time he has it he either will or won't eat it. 

When I was growing up it was "you either eat what's on your plate or you go hungry". A lot of people still feel the same. My son would go hungry. 

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Do they even realize? It took 4 year of "tricking" my son into trying new things for him to start wanting to try them...and we still have to have spaghetti in the house just in case he can't/won't eat something...

Quoting Basherte:

You should just cook what you want to and put a plate in front of him. He'll eat when he gets hungry enough. 

Or . . . 

Why do you make him only the stuff that he chooses to eat? You are the parent, he's the child, stop letting him tell you what to do.

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I'm sorry for you/what you have to deal with...

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM

He has more than one therapist!?!?

Basherte
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I can get mine to eat the tortilla chips, but not a taco or taco salad. He doesn't like the texture of the meat. And he isn't one for liking any sauce type stuff on his food. pizza is an exception though. 

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

That's my older son...I like things spicy...he hasn't tried a hot sauce he doesn't like...and 2 hours to eat two tacos is just a little extreme...but hey...he's eating...so I'll live with it.

Quoting Basherte:

It's okay if it takes a little while to eat. We are supposed to eat slower that way we don't eat quite as much. And we should always enjoy our meals instead of wolfing them down. It's a good thing.

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Good for him. Mine won't try anything he thinks might be spicy, otherwise he'll try almost everything now...but it sometimes takes an hour or two to eat because of the texture of it...

Quoting Basherte:

I try to get my son to try a lot of different things. I won't force him to do so though. Whenever he wants to try something, no matter what it is, I allow it. *giggles* He wanted to try capers. Nope, don't like those alone. Poor boy. He chewed it up a little bit before taking it back out of his mouth though. I was proud. He at least tried it. 

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Same rule in my house. Except for peas...my mom loved them and I like the taste but the texture makes me gag and vomit...so I never had to eat them...

Quoting Basherte:

I'm lucky in that my youngest will try new things, he just tends to not like any of them. As soon as he does like something "new", we add it and keep giving it to him. Then switch it up, but if we stop giving it to him for too long, the next time he has it he either will or won't eat it. 

When I was growing up it was "you either eat what's on your plate or you go hungry". A lot of people still feel the same. My son would go hungry. 

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Do they even realize? It took 4 year of "tricking" my son into trying new things for him to start wanting to try them...and we still have to have spaghetti in the house just in case he can't/won't eat something...

Quoting Basherte:

You should just cook what you want to and put a plate in front of him. He'll eat when he gets hungry enough. 

Or . . . 

Why do you make him only the stuff that he chooses to eat? You are the parent, he's the child, stop letting him tell you what to do.

CafeMom Tickers
rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM

We use stir fry cut beef instead of ground meat. Helps a lot with my kid.

Quoting Basherte:

I can get mine to eat the tortilla chips, but not a taco or taco salad. He doesn't like the texture of the meat. And he isn't one for liking any sauce type stuff on his food. pizza is an exception though. 

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Quoting Basherte:

Or . . . 

bubbabeartb
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM
2 moms liked this

HE has Asperger's, he doesnt look like he has Asperger's.... 

My response: What does Asperger's look like, anyway?.......................................

HippoCat
by Hadley on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM

That goes away right?

momto3boys85
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM
2 moms liked this

He doesn't look like he's Autistic... *what does autism look like? 

Side note, It breaks my heart reading some of these comments. I can't believe people say such horrible things, I mean I can believe it, but FFS!  I would never abort my child period, and never send him to a home. If some kid didn't want to play with my son because he was different, I'd tell them, '' I don't want my kids playing with your kids, because your an asshole and it might rub off my my kid, SORRY".

moorefamily1
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM
She is just being a two year old. (Grrrrrrr)
moorefamily1
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Right on!

Quoting momto3boys85:

He doesn't look like he's Autistic... *what does autism look like? 

Side note, It breaks my heart reading some of these comments. I can't believe people say such horrible things, I mean I can believe it, but FFS!  I would never abort my child period, and never send him to a home. If some kid didn't want to play with my son because he was different, I'd tell them, '' I don't want my kids playing with your kids, because your an asshole and it might rub off my my kid, SORRY".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)