Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do you think that autism is accurately portrayed in the movies or on tv?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Amy
  • 22 Replies

What are your thoughts on this?

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Emma on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

It's TV, it's not real. Nuff said.

KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I mean even if they had an actor perfectly copy an actual person with autism, then all you'd have is an accurate portrayal of ONE person with autism.  My kid is likely nothing like that person, nor is anyone else so even though it's accurate, that doesn't mean This Is Autism.  I'm sure there is someone out there exactly like Dustin Hoffman's portrayal from Rain Man.  Doesn't mean it helps people understand my kids or the challenges they face.  I do think it's helpful to have actors portraying people with autism if for no other reason than it gets awareness out there.  But that's about it. 

trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
No, they only put Aspergers type characters on tv and movies. I think it makes the misperception that everyone with autism is high functioning.
goatmom4
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM

no

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Nothing on TV is an accurate portrayal.
EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM
2 moms liked this
No. People always tell me my son isn't autistic because they think k they know from TV what autism looks like. That being said. My 3 year old is in love with Sheldon from big bang theory. I think he relates. Lol
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM

My 7 year old can relate to SHELDON as well... loves to knock knock knock penny...

BUT I will add that I only watch big Bang theory FOOD network and HGTV.. so I cant answer the question about ALL of TV..  

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

No. People always tell me my son isn't autistic because they think k they know from TV what autism looks like. That being said. My 3 year old is in love with Sheldon from big bang theory. I think he relates. Lol

HippoCat
by Hadley on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:23 PM
2 moms liked this

A few years ago there was a racer on the "Amazing Race" that had Aspergers. It was before I knew my son had Autism and before I knew anything about Aspergers. You could tell that he was different, but it was really cool seeing him try new things and challenge himself daily. His racing budy was a totally normal guy and really encouraged his friend, but didn't push him. I hope my son can have a friend like that in his life. 

bubbabeartb
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, On the show Parenthood NBC. The Kid who plays Max, is spot on, Kudos to him he is Fantastic

bubbabeartb
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Oh ye Sheldon Cooper lives in my house, but its all about ;

DRAGONBALL Z

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)