Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

diets for autism

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi all,

My awesome son is and "Aspie" he is in main-stream class at school, 5th grade he is 10 yrs. was diagn. when he was in 1st grade. We have him in GFCF diet for last 6 months, there was an improvement  at first but not much different now...Wonder if we should keep doing this and for how long?

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the group! I have no experience with the diets but wish you the best!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MotoStar
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Welcome to the group! I have an "Aspie" as well. I, however, do not have any experience with special diets. Hopefully, someone can help you out.

Domain of the Mad Mommy
(rambling about kids, cooking and life)

xanadu96
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM
I was at an autism conference yesterday and they said if your child doesn't have gluten intolerance/doesn't have gut issues it doesn't really work. They said removing dyes and preservatives seems to work best.
mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I don't have the follow thru to try but my friend does it with her son. They eat a totally organic, vegan, non gmo, dairy free, gluten free, preservative and dye free diet. And when she got pregnant and was too sick to keep it up, her sons therapists suddenly were like,
WHAT has changed at home because you kid is totally off the wall!!! So while he isn't 'perfect' on the diet, he is noticeably different.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Welcome to the group. We tried gluten free for a year but it didn't work out for my son. There are some moms on here that have had great success with it though and might be able to offer better advice.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the case for My son. We had a ton of bloodwork done and hair samples taken and everything came back fine but his gluten levels were borderline so they told us to try it but no difference (other than weight loss and depression) but dyes and preservatives do make a difference in Ashton's behavior and concentration.

Quoting xanadu96:

I was at an autism conference yesterday and they said if your child doesn't have gluten intolerance/doesn't have gut issues it doesn't really work. They said removing dyes and preservatives seems to work best.

bethkeagan
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Try switching to the scd diet! My son was gf/cf for 3months he did a lot better but then stopped so I switched him to the scd and he takes nystatin to get rid of the yeast. Do you do biomedical or take him to a DAN! Dr? He is doing even better now ;-) he is also on a lot of herbs and supplements. He also takes b12 shots. Good luck I hope all goes well!
KatyTylersMom
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM
2 moms liked this

If you saw some improvements then that's a good indicator that gut issues and food issues are at play in your son.  I'd suggest getting an IgG allergy test done - it's a simple blood draw and you can get a kit online at alletess labs.  We have run the smaller food pannel (96 foods I believe) twice on my son to see how his food sensitivities are doing.  The first time he had over 30 foods that were reactive, most at a 2-3 (scale of 0-3).  This last time after removing every. single. reactive. food. he was down to only 6 reactive foods and none above a 2, a good indicator that his gut is healing and his immune system is normalizing. 

I'd highly suggest the allergy blood test, and working with a doctor to try yeast medications - even a great stool test will often not show yeast even if there is a huge overgrowth simply because the yeast does not come out - it stays in the gut and does nasty nasty things.  Nystatin is a nice medication in that it is completely contained in the gut and does not go systemic or ever affect the liver/kidneys, etc. so it can be used in a maintenance, constant kind of way.  My son has been on it or 6 months now and does so much better when his yeast is controlled. 

Now, in conjunction with going GFCF sometimes kids just don't digest things well.  Lack of digestive enzymes, who knows, but things like complex carbs tend to just not get broken down properly.  This then gives the yeast, bacteria, and all kinds of bad bugs in the gut a nice feed every time your kid eats that stuff.  So some parents choose to try diets like the Specific Carbohydrate Diet which really look at the molecular structure of the food, see if it's a simple carb or a complex carb, and prohibit it if it's a complex carb.  So that equates to all the meat, fruit, veggies you want but no starches.  So no potatoes, corn, any kind of bread or flour or chip, etc. It's not an easy diet to maintain if you eat outside of the house often but it can really help and there are a lot of great recipes that will keep you feeling very happy with your food choices. 

bethkeagan
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:04 AM
SO your son has been on nystatin for 6 months! My son is on it to. He started about 3weeks ago. His DAN! Said he had yeast but that it wasn't severe. He is also on the scd diet but will only eat eggs and pizza(cauliflower crust)! He is doing so much better but is now wanting to eat more things like chex cereal and puff corn. Do you think he is ready for these foods or do you think it's the yeast trying to be fed? I don't see my DAN! Until Nov. I have allowed him to have very small amounts and he seems just fine no change! What is your advice on this? I don't want to allow it if it means he will be on the meds longer!

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

If you saw some improvements then that's a good indicator that gut issues and food issues are at play in your son.  I'd suggest getting an IgG allergy test done - it's a simple blood draw and you can get a kit online at alletess labs.  We have run the smaller food pannel (96 foods I believe) twice on my son to see how his food sensitivities are doing.  The first time he had over 30 foods that were reactive, most at a 2-3 (scale of 0-3).  This last time after removing every. single. reactive. food. he was down to only 6 reactive foods and none above a 2, a good indicator that his gut is healing and his immune system is normalizing. 

I'd highly suggest the allergy blood test, and working with a doctor to try yeast medications - even a great stool test will often not show yeast even if there is a huge overgrowth simply because the yeast does not come out - it stays in the gut and does nasty nasty things.  Nystatin is a nice medication in that it is completely contained in the gut and does not go systemic or ever affect the liver/kidneys, etc. so it can be used in a maintenance, constant kind of way.  My son has been on it or 6 months now and does so much better when his yeast is controlled. 

Now, in conjunction with going GFCF sometimes kids just don't digest things well.  Lack of digestive enzymes, who knows, but things like complex carbs tend to just not get broken down properly.  This then gives the yeast, bacteria, and all kinds of bad bugs in the gut a nice feed every time your kid eats that stuff.  So some parents choose to try diets like the Specific Carbohydrate Diet which really look at the molecular structure of the food, see if it's a simple carb or a complex carb, and prohibit it if it's a complex carb.  So that equates to all the meat, fruit, veggies you want but no starches.  So no potatoes, corn, any kind of bread or flour or chip, etc. It's not an easy diet to maintain if you eat outside of the house often but it can really help and there are a lot of great recipes that will keep you feeling very happy with your food choices. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Have no idea of using the diet. We went another route. we use ABA therapy. Alot of moms on here use the gfcf diet and have nothing but wonderful things to say about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)