Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Please help

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi I joined because I am frustrated with my autistic son who is almost 3 years old, and was diagnosed about a year ago. He says a few things but really has problems with speach. You absolutely cannot reason with him at all. If you tell him NO or correct him he trys to hurt himself. He bangs his head on the floor, bites himself, and slaps his own face. You can't tell him to wait a minute or that we have to finish what we're doing and then we'll do what he wants. He hits his sister all the time, is getting in trouble in his early intervention program for biting other kids. His tantrums are out of control and I don't know what to do. He is also VERY connected to my partner and doesn't want me at all. It hurts my feelings. He backs away from me because he doesn't want me to touch him. I am good enough to come and play with, but am chop liver if my partner is around. I didn't know if this was an autistic thing or just a behavioral thing. Any suggestions about anything would be greatly appreciated. I am sorry to vent, but I have absolutely no family support and live in the middle of no where with very little support. Please don't get me wrong I love my son, but I want to guide him and help him grow into the young man I know he can be and I don't know what to do. Please help!

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bethkeagan
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Is he on a gf/cf diet? Do you do any vitamins supplements ect... My son is 2 1/2 and used to do some of the things your son does! He started the gf/cf about 4months ago it helped tremendously!! Then he started to regress again so I started the scd diet! Now he is going forward again :-) I also do supplements a take him to a DAN!Dr. Good luck
Mom2austin11510
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Please forgive my ignorance but I don't know what all those abbreviations mean. My son takes melatonin at night to help with sleep but is not on anything else or any special diet. We often have a hard time getting him to eat so he justs eats a little of everything. I would be willing to try anything. Please let me know about the abreviations and what the diets are, also I'm sure that my ped. would be more than happy to put him on vitamins if it would help. Just let me know what you suggest.

Thank you so much!

bethkeagan
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Gf/cf (gluten free,caisen free) you can just look up gf/cf/autism and will explain ;-) have you heard of biomedical treatment? Have you ever heard a story that someone has cured there child of autism? This is how you do it ;-) the biomedical treatment! You can find every thing I'm talking about at generationrescue.org ! It is hard to stick by the diet especially if your son is picky! You just have to find what works for him ;-) for an example my son only eats eggs with non dairy cheese an pizza (cauliflower pizza crust) and organic sauce. It is all extremely expensive to :-( but it works!!!! You can also just type in DAN!Dr. (defeat autism now) and find info. But if you want it all in one spot just go to generationrescue.org ;-) good luck and if you have any questions please feel free to ask!
ibqueenbee
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd like to agree that a lot of symptoms and behavioral issues can be corrected with diet. Both of my sons were diagnosed with ADHD and one of them was very recently diagnosed ASD, high functioning. I started changing our diet 2 years ago with the ADHD diagnosis, after doing hours and days of research. I slowly phased out artificial sweeteners, colors, and flavors. Then, I cut out high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils, and started buying organic. Next, we got rid of all soy, and cow's milk. Recently, we went gluten-free and eliminated most dairy, soon to be all dairy. It has been challenging. I have had to be a "mean mom" sometimes. People don't understand why I am so strict. But I can tell you that I have seen a HUGE improvement in my kids' behavior. I can tell right away if my kids have eaten something they weren't supposed to. It's been a slow (and expensive) process but my whole family is much healthier, have lost weight, and the boys have few or no outbursts. I believe that the solution is truly in the foods we eat. I have explained it to my kids that food is the fuel for your body. If you put the wrong fuel in, your body doesn't work right. I asked them what they think would happen if I put orange juice in my car's gas tank instead of gasoline? They laughed about that idea and I think it made sense to them. Now they both read the labels on food at the grocery store, and already know what they can ask for and what they can't. Even my youngest will come home from school, proud that he turned down the Cheetos his friend offered him.

It takes time. Don't give up! Good luck!

Mom2austin11510
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Has anyone had any experience with their child being completely attached to one parent and not wanting the other at all? Any ideas for solutions? I am the one who plays with him, my spouse doesn't, and she is also the one who disciplines him. Unfortunately she is his primary care giver as I work. I just don't know what to do or if this is even an autistic thing.

Jodee24
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Not sure but I have heard many success stories with ABA therapy (most insurances have to cover it now) we are in the process of starting ABA with my daughter. Good luck
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM
You may want to read about sensory integration. Im guessing your son has some sensory issues.
As far as the corrections go. Parenting a ASD kid is a different approach in my eyes as a mom of a 7 year old asd kid.

With expressive language so hard for your son, im guessing he hits and gets frustrated because he can express himself. Its important he learns to say... Im angry... Or frustrated.. And learn the meaning-- and that is ok and normal.

As far as the corrections and no go.. You really need to pick battles. Certain thing need to b let go of... Know transitions are hard-- know what stressors he is under-- make things easy... You cant wirk on everything-- or youll stress him out--
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM
My son went thru phases--- all me... Then all spouse... Then back to me... Now that he is 7... We all feel the love.

Quoting Mom2austin11510:

Has anyone had any experience with their child being completely attached to one parent and not wanting the other at all? Any ideas for solutions? I am the one who plays with him, my spouse doesn't, and she is also the one who disciplines him. Unfortunately she is his primary care giver as I work. I just don't know what to do or if this is even an autistic thing.

bethkeagan
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Yes I think it is a little autism related. Try spending as much time with him as possible! Learn how to read him. It will take a while but it is possible ;-) I've heard that a lot of asd kids are very close to the ones that take most care of them.so just keep playing with him and try to be the one that feeds him gives him drinks baths every thing you can do for him.
NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM
For the longest time my daughter, almost 4, didn't seem to know I existed. I worked nights and my husband worked evenings so she spent most of her time with my 19 year old daughter. The only person she seemed to respond to at all was her. But, when she moved away for college and I took some time off from work, slowly she started to respond to me more. Our children with ASD are definitely very routine oriented and that includes the people that they spend most of their time with. Don't feel bad, it gets better and good luck with the behaviors.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)