Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Any tricks to get your kid to sleep?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:05 AM
  • 21 Replies

We are having a terrible time getting my 32 month old son to sleep. Previously we used to give him a bath
and he used to lie down on the bed. He has the habit of rocking himself left-right and then falling asleep.
These days he refuses to enter the bed room. If we say "sleepy time" he will scream "no no". We somehow trick him into getting inside the bedroom. Then he just doesn't agree to lie down. He will jump on the bed, demand toys or ipad and pull me out of bed. If i refuse to get up, he will cry non stop. Last time he cried for 45 mins, after which I couldn't bear it and got out of bed. We have tried music, ipad, he gets even more stimulated and takes longer to sleep. But inspite of that, many times we use ipad so that he lies down and stops demanding things at bed time. He wants the light on while sleeping. When we refused to that a couple of months ago and put the lights off, he cried till he vomitted on the bed. Since that day, the lights have stayed on. So he wakes at 7:30 am, has a 2 hour nap in the afternoon and though we start bedtime at 9, he goes to bed at 11pm or later. I have to wake him up everytime, in the morning and in the afternoons. He never wakes up on his own, so I feel he needs the sleep. Inspite of that its the same struggle at the next bed time. How can I make bed time more peaceful? How can I calm him down before bedtime? Do your kids take 1-2 hours to fall asleep?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Melatonin!  Ask Dr for dosage.  "NOW" brand make orange flavor liquid.  DS 6yo ASD took it for yrs to fall asleep and does not need it now.  He gets warm Epsom salt bath to relax him b4 bed too.  Dinner,bath,book,Melatonin and he says "bed time".

rhiannonaisling
by Melanie on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM

We use grape flavored kids sleepy time tea by celestial seasonings. We sometimes have to read to my ds (10yo) for hours (his older sibs and I take turns since it takes so long)...and even then he often gets up in the middle of the night.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I play movies (that my son has already seen so they are not too stimulating) on the ipad at bedtime. I feel like I'm breaking a MAJOR parenting rule by doing this, but frankly, it's the only thing that works and I'd rather my son fall asleep the "wrong" way than not at all. 

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I need to take Melatonin myself in order to fall asleep. It's been a lifesaver! Otherwise I will just lay there in bed with thoughts spinning around in my head keeping me awake for hours and hours. 

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Melatonin!  Ask Dr for dosage.  "NOW" brand make orange flavor liquid.  DS 6yo ASD took it for yrs to fall asleep and does not need it now.  He gets warm Epsom salt bath to relax him b4 bed too.  Dinner,bath,book,Melatonin and he says "bed time".

Simran81
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Yes even we do that. We play the same song in loopback. Sometimes thats the only way that works. Even i feel guilty for that. At this point i dont want to use anything my son has to ingest. As he doesnt go to school yet and is the only child,   we are managin with late nights. 

Quoting lady_katie:

I play movies (that my son has already seen so they are not too stimulating) on the ipad at bedtime. I feel like I'm breaking a MAJOR parenting rule by doing this, but frankly, it's the only thing that works and I'd rather my son fall asleep the "wrong" way than not at all. 

Jenifr
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Bump. My son is the same. I'm trying to figure something out. :(
bubbabeartb
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Melatonin 3mg, my little guy now 13,  had so many problems sleeping and this was MAGIC, gave it to him 3times a week to help him get in routine, along with the nightly bath with baby lavender and warm milk with chamomile and bedtie storie and it was light outs.... Now he is still alittle night owl but he is usually asleep by 10-10.30 when in bed at 8.30-9, Hope this helps...HUGS

baby dust

Jodee24
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Not sure about "falling asleep" my daughter never slept a night in her crib (she would cry till she threw up) so she is almost 2 and in a toddler bed. Our life saver was the weighted bean bag blanket!!! Best thing ever!! It keeps them asleep. We also have music and a lava lamp in her room bc she needs visual sensory to fall asleep. Good luck mommy!! I get it! She never slept through the night untill a few weeks ago when the blanket came in!
tammy_lynne
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I might get bashed... But we read our son a book, then one of us lays in bed with him until he falls asleep. It's something my husband started (the laying with him), and now he won't go to sleep without it. 

Angelmevans
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:21 PM
We have struggled more in the past with the issue. We used to struggle so bad that it would end up in almost a war.

We have explained to our DS's that sleeping time is the best thing for your body.

We also play a little game. We tell them that we are going to float on clouds but we can only do this if we lay still and close out eyes. If we open our eyes we fall off the cloud. They also have to listen to their heart beat while floating on the cloud. It has made a dramatic improvement. It is not 100 percent every night.

The other thing we do to relax is put a small stuffed animal on their bellies. They have to lay still so the animal does not fall off. They have to close their eyes and make the stuffed animal move up and down with slow breathes.

My kids won't go to sleep unless someone is in the room. We have been gradually moving out. They sleep in the same room. We have made it to the doorway. Next week we move to outside the doorway.

Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)