Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Jumping off of everything

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 12 Replies

So does your child with ASD do this. My son will climb everything to jump off of it. My chairs coffee table. The other day he jumped down 6 steps in my house. My bed is really high up and he jumps off of that too. We have a trampoline for him to use when he is in a jumping mood. Just afraid that I will have to end up at the ER before he understands he is going to get hurt. But even then no guarantee he will.

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Could you make him a crash pad and only allow him to jump off one specific piece of furniture onto the crash pad?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I think that is a great idea. I could let him jump off the couch upstairs in the kids play room. 

Quoting mypbandj:

Could you make him a crash pad and only allow him to jump off one specific piece of furniture onto the crash pad?

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

My dd doesn't jump off of things but she does jump into the air then fall hard on her butt. She's already gotten a couple of bruises on her butt from doing this and I'm afraid shes going to sprain her tailbone which is really painful because she even drops on the ceramic tile floor. Im pretty sure its the need for proprioceptive input and my dd is a sensory seeker. Im going to order her a vibrating pillow to see if that helps.

I'd figure out if he enjoys the free falling feeling or the hard pressure at the end. Does he like to swing? It could maybe simulate the falling feeling and the pillow like I'm getting for the pressure input or maybe a weighted vest. I haven't tried a vest with mine yet but its next if the pillow doesn't work. 

MotoStar
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM

My boy doesn't jump off of things but he is constantly crashing.

Crashing into the couch, crashing into pillows, crashing onto the floor.

Always crashing.

Domain of the Mad Mommy
(rambling about kids, cooking and life)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM

oh he does this thing where he jumps in the air and lands on his knees. I am going to have to get his ot restarted.

He loves to swing. we swing him in our arms. The compression vest is not good for him. It makes him have meltdowns.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

My dd doesn't jump off of things but she does jump into the air then fall hard on her butt. She's already gotten a couple of bruises on her butt from doing this and I'm afraid shes going to sprain her tailbone which is really painful because she even drops on the ceramic tile floor. Im pretty sure its the need for proprioceptive input and my dd is a sensory seeker. Im going to order her a vibrating pillow to see if that helps.

I'd figure out if he enjoys the free falling feeling or the hard pressure at the end. Does he like to swing? It could maybe simulate the falling feeling and the pillow like I'm getting for the pressure input or maybe a weighted vest. I haven't tried a vest with mine yet but its next if the pillow doesn't work. 

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Yup, loves to jump, I set aside a "safe" area where there is nothing he can crash into and only let him jump from there. Of course his jumping off things and climbing high really kicks in at parks, too bad most parks are for younger kids, with nothing really for 10+ year olds...
Jenifr
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, he does. He's 2.75 (yo). It scares the poop out of me but I was told I shouldn't give it attention (becaue that would encourage him) and redirect him. Somedays, I wish I can just glue his bottom on the floor. He always has at least 6 bruises on his legs. 

HippoCat
by Hadley on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Yes, yes! The jumping in the air and landing on his knees! 

Quoting JTMOM422:

oh he does this thing where he jumps in the air and lands on his knees. I am going to have to get his ot restarted.

He loves to swing. we swing him in our arms. The compression vest is not good for him. It makes him have meltdowns.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:08 AM
1 mom liked this

No, but if he could physically jump off things, I know he would do it!  LOL

terri-553
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Thomas (g/son)went thru crashing,after about 3 months he finally stopped,wishedI could offer more ideas.or support

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)