Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Clothes

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 20 Replies
My dd is 3 and goes to preschool twice a week. It is a regular preschool put on by the YMCA on the military base we live at. The program requires an adult to stay with each child throughout the class time, so my dd's aba therapist goes with her. Anyway, she has 2 shirts she has dubbed school shirts. She will only wear them on school days and will not wear any other shirt or dress on a school day. I just let her wear them because I don't want to deal with a tantrum, but now I am wondering if I should make her wear something else. What would you do?
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My son went through that, still does to a lesser degree.  Don't aggravate yourself, let her wear the "school shirts."  It will get easier the older she gets....

jowen905
by Jan on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I would just let her wear the 2 shirts and not worry about it. 

johnns
by Johnna on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Eh, pick your battles. I'd say let him wear the 2, its just shirts. Lol
amonkeymom
by Amy on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I agree, let her wear what she's comfortable with.

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I agree with these ladies.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

We have school uniform but can wear any color polo.  My son wants light blue every day, and not just any light blue, the light blue from Kohls only.  So we have 5, and I don't care.  If it comforts him and puts him in the right frame of mind to learn and make progress, then I don't care.  Last year he wore all different colors and made no progress in school, this year the light blue one and huge progress in 4 weeks.  I'll take it.  It makes for easy laundry too as they all go in together!

by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Thanks for the reassurance. I worried a little about what the other moms were thinking and what the teacher was thinking since they have only ever seen her wear those two shirts. She already stands out to the othe kids in several ways. Our therapist has been asked a whole slew of questions about why she is there rather than me (the main reason is because I home school and so I have no place for my other kids to go), and about my dd's behaviors. She gets taken out of class almost every class day due to behavior. (Not bad or disruptive behavior, just stimming and hyper-ness)
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 27, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Not sure on that mama...never had to deal with it as my son doesn't care what he wears.  Hugs!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM

We had the same issue with long sleeve, he refused to wear them,....even jeans at one point. I just let it be...I wanted him to be as comfortable and happy as he could be there, so the least I could do was let him wear something that made him feel ok.

BDSMI
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM

My son went through a phase brown pants and a polo all the way through preschool and into grade school.  We dubbed them his "uniforms".  If she goes to school twice a week then twice a week she wears her "uniform" tops and off she goes.  I would not get to upset over this she is expressing herself.  My son out grew the brown pants and polo around the middle of 2nd grade (by the time we got through the phase his closet was divided half striped polos half solid polos half light brown pants half dark brown pants)  we just rolled with it....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)