Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

ASD son, wildlife safety

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hey ladies,
We had a family day today, which was great. We went fishing in our canoe and had a blast. We also had a wildlife buddy nearby, 4 ft alligator. We live in FL, so they are all over. We check a alake before we dip our feet. DS tried to stick his feet in constantly, a 4 ft gator won't bother anyone. But it worries me when it comes to ds lack of danger awareness and wildlife. To make things better, a venomous coral snake made his way in the house. I am deathly afraid of snakes. Thank god he made his way out without prompting. Now I am paranoid of ds coming across a venomous snake and approaching it. Since one got into our house, I am worried another one will. We took a kids safety course on snake identification. I tell my kids, don't mess with any they won't mess with you.
Most of the time something bad has to happen before he learns. I worry about him being bitten, how do I communicate this with him.
P.s. snake breeding season in fL, August until November. I was hoping my phobia would influence him. Nope.
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Coral snakes, eeeekkk!!! I'm not sure I could live there. Do you think you could do a test run? Like buy several different kinds of rubber snakes and put them in your house. I don't know how your son would feel about being tricked, but if you think he could handle being played in a way when he'd find out the snake is fake, then I'd put a fake coral snake in a room so he sees if from a little ways away when he walks in the room and just see what he does. If you think he'd get upset by being tricked, then make it your own safety course.... tell him there are snakes around the house and you want him to only pick up the ones he knows wouldn't hurt him and to stay away from the ones that would.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Not sure mama...good luck though:)

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Oh boy! I would get to him in a way that he likes. Does he love watching DVDs or certain programs on tv, books? Maybe there's a DVd with a character he likes that pertains to safety? I would find something like that and use that as my venue to make him understand.

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Would visuals work, like what a snake bite looks like, or one that has gotten infected word look like? My kid, like yours, more or less has to actually experience the bad thing before it sinks in that it really is bad.  Of course if it freaked him out that wouldn't be great, but thought I would toss the idea out there for you. Good luck!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Yikes! I can't stand it when a little spider is in my house. I would keep stressing snakes bite & give boo boos. I'm not sure how much he understands but practicing & watching dvds sounds like a good idea too. Good luck & keep safe!
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I would so totally have screamed if I saw a snake. I really have no idea on how to get him to understand the dangers of wildlife. Hope some other momma's have some good ideas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)