Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Bedtime Trouble

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 4 Replies

Ugh! Sometimes My 5 year old will do good with getting ready for bed but other times like last night are frustrating. He didn't want to get off the ipad, kept running away from me when i was trying to change his clothes, jumped on the bed instead of brushing his teeth. I had to turn off the light and shut the bedroom door on him then he let me get him dressed. He never did brush his teeth. I tried taking away his washcloth but it just made him mad. He would not listen at all. I don't like nights like last night.

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Sep. 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM

hugs  I hope bedtime today is better.

EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 4:56 PM

hugs. we have nights like that too. sometimes i drag him through the routine and sometimes i just change his diaper and put him in bed and shut the door. i hate doing that though because he screams. hope it gets better

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been more stressed lately thinking about placement for my son so I've been on the computer more so night times are more stressful for him....

But we get through it this way: I move like a karate master. You know when the other guy throws you a punch, the karate person just moves? Kind of like that.

Okay, for example, my son didn't want to take a shower. I said okay, "do you want a shower or bath?" He said "no shower or bath". I said smiling, sweetly, "okay. Can I give you a hug and kiss?" He said "okay." I gave him a hug and a kiss. He said, "I want to go with Daddy downstairs". I said "okay. You want to cuddle with daddy downstairs, right?" He knew where I was going with this. LOL. He said, "But no bath". I said, "I know. no bath."

"Do you want cold or hot water?" (We had an arguement the night before where he was insistent on only cold water) He said cold water. I said okay. He liked watching the water go down the drain. But no hot water. I tried pouring cold water on him to convince him, he screeched "No!"

I found a bucket and filled it with warm water took it to the bath and bathed him with the warm water as he is standing in the ice cold water in the bath. LOL. I gave him kisses and praises as we did this.

I found for my son, its about manuvering so they feel like they are in control. I hope this helps. Hugs mama.   

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup, we have had more than our fair share of nights like yours and they are exhausting.  I try to go with the flow and still get things done and have found that if I down play it (brushing his teeth or whatever) I will pull out my toothbrush and paste and chat with him while we get ready and before we know it our teeth are clean and nobody is in tears.  Other times I really do just let it slide if I can tell nothing will happen without a battle.  And it isn't worth it, sending him to bed angry or upset.  So we always try to end the night on a good note whether or not everything that is usually done is done or not.  The following day is usually better.  Hang in there! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)