Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What do you do?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:16 AM
  • 10 Replies

When your child wakes up after only 3 or 4 hours of sleep and decides that's all they're going to sleep? If my daughter wakes up at night and wants to stay asleep, she'll go back to sleep on her own. But if she wakes up and is awake, that's it. She's going to be awake for 3 to 5 hours no matter what I do. I've pretty much accepted this so now I feel like I may be reinforcing the behavior by allowing her to watch a movie.

I know I shouldn't but chronic sleep deprivation has affected my ability to know what to do in the moment and it's definitely affected my mood. When she wakes me up I want to yell at her or physically punish her and I know that's wrong, so I just put on a movie and try to wake myself .... but when I only sleep 3 hours I never feel awake.

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnns
by Johnna on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:25 AM
I understand. No sleep for mama's can be trouble for a whole household. If you can put in a movie and trust she'll stay and watch, I'd go for it.
Maybe melatonin would work for her?
I'm one if those people who can live on 5 hrs of sleep. I'm an early bird also. I love getting up before everyone else for me time.
I've not had a lot of problems with my kids sleeping.
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Melotonin helps put her to sleep but not keep her asleep .... and alot of times it doesn't do anything. I wish I could live on only 5 hours of sleep but I've always been one who needed more sleep than others. I really need 9 a night to be productive. I also have hypothyroidism which contributes to being fatigued much more easily. Before I even had my daughter, my husband would get upset with me because I couldn't go out partying with him all night because I would beg to go home and sleep. I also have a tendency to fall asleep when we ever get the chance to go to a play, musical or opera.

I'm going to change doctors soon and see if I can get this fatigue dealt with. Being on meds for my thyroid should be enough but its not.

Quoting johnns:

I understand. No sleep for mama's can be trouble for a whole household. If you can put in a movie and trust she'll stay and watch, I'd go for it.
I'm one if those people who can live on 5 hrs of sleep. I'm an early bird also. I love getting up before everyone else for me time.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:22 AM
I dont think a movie is reinforcing it--- but im guessing she might be up longer due to the movie then if you let her do something else... Ya know how electronics wire them up...Maybe listening to a soothing CD, reading a book ( a book that reads on its own?) maybe look into some calming exercises in case the waking is due to sensory?

I feel your pain with the sleep. My son slept longer then your DD, but would wake crazy early... 4-4:30-5! When i still needed 3 more hrs to sleep. My hubby works really long hours.. So he was gone for 14-16 hours... It was HARD!

Perhaps a weighted blanket would increase the seratonin and keep her asleep longer?

Aside from that... If what your doing is working for you-- and u feel well rested... Then as they say "if it aint broke...."
johnns
by Johnna on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Yeh, some say the Melotoin works- I find the strips work best. A friend of my has that problem with her thyroid- she's a sleeper!! Lol
I haven't always been a morning person- 1st kid changed that!! I try to nap in the living room while Sally watches a movie- but its not good rest- scared I will wake up to the house being a mess- with our kids its not just spilled milk- its the damnest things- flour all over, crazy messes! Not worth closing my eyes for! Lol

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Melotonin helps put her to sleep but not keep her asleep .... and alot of times it doesn't do anything. I wish I could live on only 5 hours of sleep but I've always been one who needed more sleep than others. I really need 9 a night to be productive. I also have hypothyroidism which contributes to being fatigued much more easily. Before I even had my daughter, my husband would get upset with me because I couldn't go out partying with him all night because I would beg to go home and sleep. I also have a tendency to fall asleep when we ever get the chance to go to a play, musical or opera.

I'm going to change doctors soon and see if I can get this fatigue dealt with. Being on meds for my thyroid should be enough but its not.

Quoting johnns:

EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I don't know momma. Sometimes I sleep in D's bed and that seems to help. Someone recently told me that low magnesium can affect sleep. I'm going to try it as I have poor sleep like your daughter. A movie actually helps me so maybe that is the right thing to do?
EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:33 AM
When my son was in that stage I gated him into our living room so I could sleep on the couch. I agree it's not good sleep but its better than none.

Quoting johnns:

Yeh, some say the Melotoin works- I find the strips work best. A friend of my has that problem with her thyroid- she's a sleeper!! Lol

I haven't always been a morning person- 1st kid changed that!! I try to nap in the living room while Sally watches a movie- but its not good rest- scared I will wake up to the house being a mess- with our kids its not just spilled milk- its the damnest things- flour all over, crazy messes! Not worth closing my eyes for! Lol

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Quoting johnns:

Charizma77
by Carissa on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM

It happens sometimes and hubby and I take shifts with him and try to remain calm and patient with him..sometimes easier said then done!

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Do what you have to do.... when my son was little a photo album or yearbook would keep him busy and quiet.

lgt0304
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Hmm. Does she sleep at all during the day? If not and she just wants a few hours sleep then she's awake, I'd try to make things as boring for her as possible so she'd go back to sleep, like keeping the lights off and laying in bed with her. Hopefully she sees you're not going to get up and do anything so she'll go back to sleep. My 10 year old sleeps with me and has since she was a year and a half. No husband or boyfriend so I'm used to it. I don't know enough about drugs to tell you which ones to use. I know it has to be cold (70 degrees) for both of us to get a good nights sleep. Just some thoughts anyway. Hope you find something that works!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:44 AM

My son does this at times and I give him Melatonin and that usually works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)