Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What would you do?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 26 Replies

sam has low muscle tone. At 7 he still has difficulty walking for long periods of time. He also has a very low threshhold for being scared. If he hears the tinest scary music, he runs out of the room. There is a halloween commercial for reeses peanut butter cups... And it freaks him out... No tolerance. 

Ok, so those two things being known his school has planned a trip to Sleepy Hollow.. We live in that area of westchester.. You know, Ichabod Crane, headless horseman... They arent going for halloween festivities, but they are going there for a tour of philipsburg manor, with some history, some fresh air... They have planned the trip for the 31st with Sams little class.

Yes he knows the story, yes it freaks him out. 

So putting together sending him to sleepy hollow on that day when something scary may be fun for the other kids- but he will freak- and knowing the walking tour will be hard on him(and he may not be able to go trick or treating because really, that much walking in a day will not be tolerated) do I not send him on the class trip? 

Fyi- halloween has been cancelled here due to snow and hurricaines these last 2 years. He has not been trick or treating since he was 4. 

What would you do? 

History with school with the potential to freak him out... Or begging for candy in the neighborhood. 

Also, just another footnote... Houses here are 2 acre lots, so, its a lot of walking for little candy... But he did enjoy it at 4. 

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I would lean more toward trick or treating since he did enjoy that before.....plus they outgrow that so soon.  The tour of the manor will always be there to do another time......

Does he have a preference?  

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Oct. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't send him unless you could go with him. Kids like to scare each other so even if the tour wasn't actually scary, some might whisper about the scary story and freak him out. And with low muscle tone, does he have anything in his IEP allowing him to take breaks from walking? If you were able to go or has an aid you really trust ..... he should be able to go through part of the tour and stop and take a break (both from walking and from the tour info ..... maybe missing parts of the tour would help it not be so scary?)

It could be a nice experience but sounds like you need to do alot of prep work first. Maybe if you did the leg work and put together where he could take breaks on the tour and which parts of the tour he should miss for scary purposes it could work out. 

Good luck. Hope you figure out what will work best for him.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Ya I wouldn't send him on the field trip unless your going too. If he enjoyed trick or treating then do what he enjoys. Do you have wagon? Maybe he can sit in the wagon between houses.
girl_incognito
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Ask him what he wants to do and try to support him in that the best way I could. And if he chose to go with the class i would go with him.

First step... ask Sam.. then figure out your plan

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think I would send him on the school trip. Too many things that could scare him. I think if he wants to trick or treat then let him do that instead

lucasmadre
by Kari on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Unless you plan on joining him on the field trip I wouldn't send him, I wouldn't have sent my son...he would have been traumatized at that age.

I vote for a little trick-or-treating. My son is 9 and is good for about a dozen houses and then he has had it...tired or not it is just too much stimulation for him. Good luck!!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Hey, thanks for replying! Ive noticed youve been off line- been thinking of you and hoped things were good busy... Not bad busy. :) 

Quoting lucasmadre:

Unless you plan on joining him on the field trip I wouldn't send him, I wouldn't have sent my son...he would have been traumatized at that age.

I vote for a little trick-or-treating. My son is 9 and is good for about a dozen houses and then he has had it...tired or not it is just too much stimulation for him. Good luck!!

momofblueeyes04
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Honestly I had no idea that place existed lol and I agree I would only let him go if you go too so that he feel safe and secure and y on earth would pick that day of days. Can you trick or treating at a mall so somewhere like that.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Hes 48 lbs.. And we have lots of hills... NO WAY! I did think about driving... Lol... But, there are so many kids around... I really need an ATV. ha! Been trying to convince hubby to buy me one for years! 

Quoting wildchild.com:

Ya I wouldn't send him on the field trip unless your going too. If he enjoyed trick or treating then do what he enjoys. Do you have wagon? Maybe he can sit in the wagon between houses.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Yeah, its here in westchester county NY, just outside NYC. 

I dont live IN Sleepy Hollow, but neighboring town east... Its silly to pick that day, I know. 

We live in a nice neighborhood, and many of them would be upset if Sam didnt come to their door! Ya know, if I didnt think THIS was such a horrid costume, I thought it would be easy... 

Its a kids Hanibal Lechter costume... But I love he is on a dolly... i could easily wheel him from house to house, LOL. 

Quoting momofblueeyes04:

Honestly I had no idea that place existed lol and I agree I would only let him go if you go too so that he feel safe and secure and y on earth would pick that day of days. Can you trick or treating at a mall so somewhere like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN