Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

School District!! Meeting in 2 days. Advice please!

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hi all,

The twins( boy and girl) are having the first school district meeting! I am completely clueless as to what will happen, what's the process, how they will test an what laws I should know and prepare for. We are based in NJ South Jersey. Any guidance is helpfull. What should we be preparing for if at all anything. They are currently getting therapy through early intervention. Girl has the ASD diagnosis Boy is showing at risk, the children's specialized want to reevaluate him. I am aware that the school does its own testing and they don't need to follow the testing results done outside. Please help me get prepared. Thanks all
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

read up on IDEA it will have all the laws for you. You could also check out your state laws for evaluations by googling them. There is nothing that needs to be done to prepare your children. I would want my children to just be themselves so that the eval can be more accurate. Please keep us updated on the meeting. Good luck momma

momofblueeyes04
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I am going through the same thing my daughters psychiatrist is the one who suggested it. Are your kids having behavior problems? My daughter actually behaves in class bc of her meds so I'm not sure what to say to the school either I also live in pa. From what I have heard most schools do tests on cognitive and things like that then write a report just make sure they let you speak your concerns that is what my daughters dr told me. Good luck
philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I live in South Jersey also.  The district test different areas and the kids have to have a certain percentage deficiency in at least two areas I think.  Its really nothing to be nervous about.  The IEP meeting if you get there is a little more nerve racking I think.  Good Luck! 

Simran81
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I had my meeting this week. In the first meeting, u only have to sign the consent to give permission to the school district to start evaluation. Evaluation will happen over several weeks. I have been told they will observe aba sessions also. I am in the same boat as you!

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Go to wrightslaw.com <---tons of info.

Search for transition from part c to part b services.

Is there an advocacy group in your state. Search for that too.

Basically they have so many days to complete the eval and write the IEP,
If they qualify. You are supposed to be part of the team and have input. If they end up doing something you don't like, you can request an independent educational evaluation at their expense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)