Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parental Mental Health...

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am constantly on the go.

Dr. appointments, therapies, activities, school, chores..... It never ends. 

I really don't mind doing these things. It's my mom duty.

Sometimes, lately especially, I get so tightly wound. I am stressed over everything and cannot relax. I have a history of Insomnia and it is really hard to function well when I don't get sleep.

The only way that I get restful sleep is with Ambien. I have tried over the counter, I have tried natural herbs and teas, I have tried giving up caffeine.

Nothing works, except Ambien. Now, I am wondering if my insomnia is really something else in disguise or what.

I have a Dr. appointment on Friday. I hope I can get some answers.

Does anyone else experience this?

Do you forego your own mental health for the sake of your kids, duties or work?

Domain of the Mad Mommy
(rambling about kids, cooking and life)

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I suffer from depression and anxiety. After my son's dx it got worse for a while. I use melatonin to sleep. I take 9 mg now. I sleep better now than I use to.

tylerboo
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes I forget to breath and it catches up with me.  I haven't experiences insomnia, though.  Usually when my head hits the pillow I'm out like a light.  I just feel so exhausted that I pass right out.  No doubt you are equally (probably more) tierd.  

I would suggest that you add a low dose anxiety medication to your Ambian.  If you are like me, you are turned off by the thought of having to medicate to function.  But, sometimes you have to remember to take care of you too.  You might find that you wake up on a more relaxed note.  Remind yourself that although the daily tasks are neverending and a Mom's work is never done, life should not soley be about what all you have to do today.  Force yourself to take a step back and think about how serious it really is that you pick up milk or dry-cleaning on the way home.  Smell the roses and try to carve out some time to decompress.  Easier said then done, huh?

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

When under stress I have trouble staying asleep, not falling. I will wake at 3 and not get back to bed until 5... And then of course kiddo is up at 6. Ugh! 

I was under so much stress this past sunday morning I just went and cried in the shower. I just got so overwhelmed with feeling like DS is going to really suffer through life.. And how sad that is... For both of us..I just wanted a happy healthy boy... Today, i see how far he has come..and how much he has accomplished... And it will b ok. It wont be easy, and there will be heartache... But we can do it. 

I find the gym, golf, walks, the occassional day off and mani pedis... Make things a bit better. 

Good luck at the Drs. I hope you get some answers. 

kajira
by Emma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

For me, insomnia happens when I'm extra stressed out and trying to process information.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Hugs mama!  I know it's hard...I hope you get some answers on Friday.  I have to make sure I get some sort of "me" time each day...even if it's just a hot shower with the door closed.  Hugs!

busymommy98
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Hang in there momma. You are not alone. I was recently diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I am glad you are seeing someone. I am not ashamed to say that I take Lexapro and Seroquel. It helps me function. Our job as mommies with asd kids is twice as hard. Whatever we can do to help us get through, let's do it. I had to learn the hard way that I am no good to anyone else unless I am 100%. Good for you for seeking help. You rock momma!!

emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Could it be anxiety?  I used to have anxiety and was never able to sleep because of it.  I would see the psychologist or clinical social worker.  I would also see your doctor if Xanax would help relieve your insomnia.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh girl, I'm a hopeless insomniac too! I don't take anything but my brother started taking an Advil PM and now is out like a light for a solid 7 hours, compared to the 5 of restlessness. And then there's the melatonin route...I'm going to try one of these!

But anyway, you have alot on your plate and of course are stressed! I don;t know how we aren't supposed to be!

MotoStar
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I hope I find out something on Friday!

Ladies, I have tried everything! I really hope I can get some relief.

Angelmevans
by Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I struggle with insomnia a lot and sometimes will not sleep well for days. I then crash and sleep for hours. I use medication to help my sometimes(Valium).

I have had to really try to stop and take a moment for myself.

You are not alone, we are awesome mothers who care so much for everyone. We end up sometimes not having time for ourselves.

Hugs!!!!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)