Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Why does it take him SO long?

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Amy
  • 25 Replies

Homework = my nemisis!  

It takes my son SO long to complete his homework.  He doesn't really have that much, a few math problems, maybe a paragraph for languag arts or science and that's usually about it.  Sometimes some extra reading for social studies.  But, I swear what should take no more than 30-60 minutes will often take him ALL NIGHT!  

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jowen905
by Jan on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:07 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth!  Same thing here!

emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Is he sitting at his desk doing it or not?  Is he finishing his work correctly?  Some children just take longer.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Isn't it terrible?  

Quoting jowen905:

You took the words right out of my mouth!  Same thing here!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM

The nights I work, I have him sit in the same room with me so that i can keep an eye on him.  The nights I'm not working, I still try to stay in the same room with him or else he'll be off on some tangent on the computer or just staring into space.  If I'm making dinner while he's doing homework I pull a chair (we have a counter height table) up to the counter and have him sit there.

Quoting emarin77:

Is he sitting at his desk doing it or not?  Is he finishing his work correctly?  Some children just take longer.

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM
My NT child takes forever to do homework. Her teachers say it should take only 15 to 20 minutes to complete.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Hugs mama!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I hear you sister :) He actually does his homework faster if I am not helping some times...no advice but I do understand!!!

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM

In the same boat.  Saw this rise in 4th grade, not as bad this year.  My son does the best when he would work on homework after school at my sister's.  My son seems to work faster/better for others too. He'll drag it out or answer stuff completely wrong when studying.  Example:  studied Sun and Mon for a test on Tues.  He failed every practice quiz I gave him.  He came home tonight with his test, told Dad he got an A.  Dad said "really?"  Son pulls out his test, 29 out of 30!   I guess as long as he gets results like that I'll  quit my complaining!!!! yea right ;0

angela0512
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Oh My! I hear you! My little guy will sometimes come in and zoom through his stuff. He is very smart and really truly amazes me. then we have days that he will daydream and whisper to himself giggling quietly. So frustrating! Sometimes when I try to keep him on track he will shut down, He tells me later after he starts to communicate he was "froze up"? I notice also that he was working better with me than his father, because I am new in this picture, dad and I have only been marries for 7 months. I have come to see that it was because I was new. He has grown comfortable with me now and I see him try to get me to do things for like his father did. Since I have come into his life I have change quite a few things, I hope I have not done something wrong. For example at 8 years old he did not brush his hair, bath himself or put on his clothes or shoes. It has been a slow process but still progress, and that makes me feel like I have done the right thing.  He now brushes his hair, puts on his clothes, we are still working on the socks, and for the most part bathes him self with a little coaching. Something new he has started doing is making me not look at him because he is going to SURPRISE me. This is usually  him doing what ever it is that I have been trying to get him to do, like his home work or socks on, last night he bathed himself and jumped out from behind the shower curtain covered in bubbles and yelled SURPRISE, lol it was. I am curious you said your son is in the fourth grade, is he in regular classes or ESE, and is he considered High functioning? It seems that we just have to keep keeping on :) I have seven all together, the oldest three are in high school so I don't have to help them, the last four are 7th grade, 5th grade, 3rd that's my Autistic son and 1st grade. I know home work time can be crazy!!  I have started to give my son a break before we start, also I make sure I am able to give him most of my attention, and this has seemed to help. I'm in the trenches with you girl!! lots of love!!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I know Colin's homework should only take a most an hour a night.  Last night I sat next to him and watched him do the work (and did it in my head at the same time).  What took me a total of 5 minutes to do in my head took him 20.  It was to read 3 or so paragraphs on an Egyptian monument and then write two short paragraphs that were pre-started for him.  He likes Egyptian history, so I'm not sure why it took him so long, but I watched him read the page and it was like his eyes just glazed over.

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

My NT child takes forever to do homework. Her teachers say it should take only 15 to 20 minutes to complete.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)