Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

i have to put my autism son on a diet

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi my name is anechia. I took my soon to the doctor the other day and he weights 80 pounds and the doctor told me I have to put him on a diet. He's only 6 years old. I was wondering what kind of foods do I cook for him. I have been looking on the internet for some ideas and can't find anything yet
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
patnic
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Start with your proteins.  When you make them, don't bread them, fry them, etc. Marinate then bake, broil or grill.  Pork tenderloin is super easy and moist.

Fresh veggies - steamed.  No melted cheese.  Maybe a little butter or Parmesan.

Fruit - keep it on the table.  

Watch your portions.  I know I have to remind my dh.  He always gives the kids his size of desserts, when they are just little kids.

peaches_04
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Have you looked into the gfcf diet or other diets for autism. Were just starting the gfcf.
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:48 AM
4 moms liked this

It's more about portion sizes than diet.

He needs to eat slightly less calories than he consumes in day. Even eating healthy, if he eats too many calories, he'll continue to gain weight.

When people say diet, they mean caloric intake.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Emma has the right advice here.  Good luck!

winchester70
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Wow, that is a new one. My autistic son is VERY picky about what he will eat, I was under the impression that was the one thing that linked all autistic kids. Guess I was misinformed!

PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Cut out bread, grains and sweets.  Serve fruit for dessert and snacks.  Don't restrict healthy fats because that will keep his tummy satisfied.  Lots of veggies with protein at meals.

deadlights86
by Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here. I've never seen an autistic kid that wasn't skin and bones.

Quoting winchester70:

Wow, that is a new one. My autistic son is VERY picky about what he will eat, I was under the impression that was the one thing that linked all autistic kids. Guess I was misinformed!

johnns
by Johnna on Oct. 4, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Right, they are picky eaters- mine is hooked on salt and sweets, more so on the salty side here lately. She's packed on the pounds last few months. Sally LOVES bacon & Roman noodles- both high in sodium. She gets hooked on certain foods and stays with it for months!

Quoting winchester70:

BDSMI
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Wow wish I had that problem we r working on weight gain my son is 14 and weighs 91 pounds!
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM

how tall is he ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)