Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Welcome to Autism: Support Across the Spectrum! Please introduce yourself... Get started here!

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 459 Replies
12 moms liked this

Hi,

Thank you for joining the Autism: Support Across the Spectrum group!

This is a great place to find support, advice and friendship from other moms just like you!

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. Please make yourself at home and join in!

• To add a New Post to a group, click on the "Add a Post" button at the top of the group.
  • To add a Reply to a post, click on the "Reply to Post' button at the top of the post you're replying to.
  • If you're responding to someone's reply, click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of the reply that you're commenting on and then add your reply.
  • Once you start posting and replying on the Groups, you can follow up on your conversations using the links under the 'My Activity' tab at the top of every page.

Please introduce yourself in the replies below and then say hello to some of the other moms who've introduced themselves recently. You can 'Quote' their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can 'Like' their replies, as well. Feel free to send out some friend invitations by clicking on the 'friend Invite' link at the bottom of their reply.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm always happy to help!

have a nice day  Amy

PS - Here are some helpful links: 

If you ever have a question or need any help, feel free to send me a private message. 

We really want you to have a great time in this group!

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
breezyblonde5
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM
6 moms liked this

Hi My name is Bree and my husband and I have 5 children ages 19 to 4. My 4 year old Ethan, is in the process of being diagnosed with pdd-nos. I have known he was different before he was even born. He was and is my wiggler. He cried a lot as an infant, has just finally started to sleep through the night with consistency, is a pretty happy kid until he hears a sound he doesn't like or decides to have a meltdown. I have learned that compression thereapy helps temendously when he wants to hurt himself or others during those.  He failed his newborn hearing screening so when he had a vocabulary of less than 5 words at 18 mos and wasn't responding to his name, I took it up with this doctor. Turns out his hearing problem is only selective. I have a close friend who's son is moderately autistic and have seen several similarities between him and my son. Although I have been told for years that my son is NOT autistic, his new doctor and preschool teacher believes he is. Hence the "in the process" of getting a diagnosis. In fact, his teacher thought that he had already been diagnosed. I almost started crying when she said that, because I was always told by early intervention that he was not. The new doctor thought I was joking when I told her he was not autistic, (as he spun around the middle of the room, starring at the ceiling and singing to himself). So here we are, sorry if I rambled. 

aubbeeffwife
by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM
6 moms liked this

Hello everyone My name is Jonie our oldest son Malaichi got diagonsed with ASD this past February. He was 9 years old. He also has intermidiate explosive anger issues. We always knew that something was different that he wa a little slower than the others, but we never thought that he was autistic. he changed over night from a sweet loving boy to a boy who changes from one mood to the next. he can be loving then hit you. He tries to show love, but he does not truly understand emotions anymore. He did last year he could read, and write but not any more. I felt quity like what could I have done. But, I am learning that it is not our fault. God gave us a special son for a reason. Our middle son was diagonsed with ADHD two years ago. We think that he may also be autistic, but not for sure. He has alot of different issues. Thanks for listening that is enough of my rambling for awhile. Nice to meet everyone.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Hi Bree! Welcome to the group! 

Quoting breezyblonde5:

Hi My name is Bree and my husband and I have 5 children ages 19 to 4. My 4 year old Ethan, is in the process of being diagnosed with pdd-nos. I have known he was different before he was even born. He was and is my wiggler. He cried a lot as an infant, has just finally started to sleep through the night with consistency, is a pretty happy kid until he hears a sound he doesn't like or decides to have a meltdown. I have learned that compression thereapy helps temendously when he wants to hurt himself or others during those.  He failed his newborn hearing screening so when he had a vocabulary of less than 5 words at 18 mos and wasn't responding to his name, I took it up with this doctor. Turns out his hearing problem is only selective. I have a close friend who's son is moderately autistic and have seen several similarities between him and my son. Although I have been told for years that my son is NOT autistic, his new doctor and preschool teacher believes he is. Hence the "in the process" of getting a diagnosis. In fact, his teacher thought that he had already been diagnosed. I almost started crying when she said that, because I was always told by early intervention that he was not. The new doctor thought I was joking when I told her he was not autistic, (as he spun around the middle of the room, starring at the ceiling and singing to himself). So here we are, sorry if I rambled. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Welcome to the group, Jonie! 

Quoting aubbeeffwife:

Hello everyone My name is Jonie our oldest son Malaichi got diagonsed with ASD this past February. He was 9 years old. He also has intermidiate explosive anger issues. We always knew that something was different that he wa a little slower than the others, but we never thought that he was autistic. he changed over night from a sweet loving boy to a boy who changes from one mood to the next. he can be loving then hit you. He tries to show love, but he does not truly understand emotions anymore. He did last year he could read, and write but not any more. I felt quity like what could I have done. But, I am learning that it is not our fault. God gave us a special son for a reason. Our middle son was diagonsed with ADHD two years ago. We think that he may also be autistic, but not for sure. He has alot of different issues. Thanks for listening that is enough of my rambling for awhile. Nice to meet everyone.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Bree, welcome to the group!

Isn't it funny how you can tell the differences with your children even in pregnancy?  My daughter has ADHD and she was so active and alert all throughout my pregnancy with her.  I swear if I'd had my oldest after having her, I'd have thought there was something wrong with him (he's my mellow child and was even in pregnancy).

Quoting breezyblonde5:

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Jonie!  Has Malaichi's diagnosis helped at all with getting him the services he needs?

Quoting aubbeeffwife:

amandabeth23
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM
4 moms liked this

I've known for the past three years my son was on the spectrum but getting anyone to do anything was impossible until now. He's in first grade and JUST got diagnosed with ASD, ADHD, and anxiety. It is also apparent he has sensory issues. I also have a two year old who I suspect of autism based on some of his behavior. Working 40 hours and trying to take care of the boys on my own is difficult. In fact without my parents I probably couldn't do it.

I think one of the hardest things is the almost constant screaming of the youngest which hits on the sensory issues of the oldest and causes both kids to be in simultaneous meltdowns. I'm just tired and am trying to find ways to get the family on a smoother track

catherineamar
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Hi my name is Catherine. I have 4 children, my oldest daughter is 15 yrs old. My stepson who we gained full sole custody when he was 5 yrs..is now 12 years old. 5 year old son. And Catalina who is 2 years old. Catalina was diagnosed in November 2012. I am always trying to find new information on Autism. I can overwhelm myself at times, but its something that I refuse to stop doing since getting the diagnosis.. Infinite hope lives here and its not moving out. I find strengths in me every day that I didn't know I had. We have miracles in our home every day that we would have missed before Autism. Catalina has come a long way..she is determined for a 2 year old. Started therapies at 16 months old. 20 hours of ABA, Speech, OT, PT and goes to centerbased for Social Behavior. I have gotten it all, oh she's too young, oh that's a lot for her..and I understand most people are not educated about Autism, or they really don't understand because they don't live with Autism..so I just brush it off..because in my heart and soul I do not regret not one bit of fight I have given to Early Intervention and doctors to increase my daughters chances for learning. She has made so much progress that if she didn't have her services at 16 months old..she would NOT be where she is today. Her therapists/teachers are not just teachers they are angels in our lives. We have the best communication, my husband and I make sure that we communicate and are all on the same page for her! She gave our home, unconditional love, infinite hope and endless strenghts. To know Autism is to love Autism!

aubbeeffwife
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM
no, not really we are trying to find out what help there is but have not found anything yet that is not really far away.
Reina13
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Quoting amandabeth23:

I've known for the past three years my son was on the spectrum but getting anyone to do anything was impossible until now. He's in first grade and JUST got diagnosed with ASD, ADHD, and anxiety. It is also apparent he has sensory issues. I also have a two year old who I suspect of autism based on some of his behavior. Working 40 hours and trying to take care of the boys on my own is difficult. In fact without my parents I probably couldn't do it.

I think one of the hardest things is the almost constant screaming of the youngest which hits on the sensory issues of the oldest and causes both kids to be in simultaneous meltdowns. I'm just tired and am trying to find ways to get the family on a smoother track

Getting a diagnosis really is a relief sometimes because finally the services needed are now available. Is your son currently on an IEP or 504? Are you going to have it redone now that you have a DX?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)