Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Welcome to Autism: Support Across the Spectrum! Please introduce yourself... Get started here!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi,

Thank you for joining the Autism: Support Across the Spectrum group!

This is a great place to find support, advice and friendship from other moms just like you!

You'll find moms chatting by posting and replying on the group. Please make yourself at home and join in!

• To add a New Post to a group, click on the "Add a Post" button at the top of the group.
  • To add a Reply to a post, click on the "Reply to Post' button at the top of the post you're replying to.
  • If you're responding to someone's reply, click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of the reply that you're commenting on and then add your reply.
  • Once you start posting and replying on the Groups, you can follow up on your conversations using the links under the 'My Activity' tab at the top of every page.

Please introduce yourself in the replies below and then say hello to some of the other moms who've introduced themselves recently. You can 'Quote' their replies so they know you're talking to them and you can 'Like' their replies, as well. Feel free to send out some friend invitations by clicking on the 'friend Invite' link at the bottom of their reply.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm always happy to help!

have a nice day  Amy

PS - Here are some helpful links: 

If you ever have a question or need any help, feel free to send me a private message. 

We really want you to have a great time in this group!

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Replies (451-459):
hockeyfans30
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Quoting breezyblonde5:

Hi My name is Bree and my husband and I have 5 children ages 19 to 4. My 4 year old Ethan, is in the process of being diagnosed with pdd-nos. I have known he was different before he was even born. He was and is my wiggler. He cried a lot as an infant, has just finally started to sleep through the night with consistency, is a pretty happy kid until he hears a sound he doesn't like or decides to have a meltdown. I have learned that compression thereapy helps temendously when he wants to hurt himself or others during those.  He failed his newborn hearing screening so when he had a vocabulary of less than 5 words at 18 mos and wasn't responding to his name, I took it up with this doctor. Turns out his hearing problem is only selective. I have a close friend who's son is moderately autistic and have seen several similarities between him and my son. Although I have been told for years that my son is NOT autistic, his new doctor and preschool teacher believes he is. Hence the "in the process" of getting a diagnosis. In fact, his teacher thought that he had already been diagnosed. I almost started crying when she said that, because I was always told by early intervention that he was not. The new doctor thought I was joking when I told her he was not autistic, (as he spun around the middle of the room, starring at the ceiling and singing to himself). So here we are, sorry if I rambled. 

Breezy, I can relate!  My 9 year old was JUST diagnosed in September with Autism.  They just changed the diagnosis with the new DSM manual to not include Aspergers which I believe it would have fallen under.  He is very high functioning and extremely bright and he is also very social which is rather atypical for Autism.  Hence, the late diagnosis.  It is so hard when you know there is something "not quite right" with your child and nobody will do anything to help!  My son couldn't get any of the help he needed in school because he wasn't on an IEP.  It was very frustrating!  In the last 2 weeks since he finally got on one, he has made HUGE strides already both academically and in the social skills area!!!  It makes me want to cry when I think of the last couple of years that could have been so different for him!!  Anyway, if you ever need some advice on how to proceed next, let me know!  I might not have the answer, but I have been through something very similar to what you are going through and would love to help.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Hey Shanika!  How old is Noah?

Quoting ShanJan: Hi my name is Shanika . I am a mother of two boys . My oldest son Noah is on the Spectrum . Noah is non-verbal and such a sweet boy .

amonkeymom
by Amy on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Welcome Rozella!

How frustrating for all of you that your son has stopped talking now.  I wonder if it's the changes that are going on in your lives that has caused it or if something else happened.  Was he pretty verbal before?

Quoting Rozella6998:

Hi my name is Rozella I have a 15yr old that stopped talking 3  mouths ago, He looks away when I talk to him, when I say his name or anyone says his name looks like it causing so much pain ti his ears , and also touch hurts him, I have taken him to a neurologist and he suggested to take him to the emergency room, nothing is working, . My son knows how to take care of himself but refuses to talk . He docent like mirrors or have his picture taken . I am lost with him, We did move the first of November and I just got engaged , my fence , just got a job out of the country and will be moving there to live, I know that change is never good for children on the spectrum , I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions so that my son doesn't fall into another world that I can not find him Thank you 

hockeyfans30
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi, my name is Brenda and my 9 year old son was recently diagnosed with Autism.  I believe had they not changed the diagnosis in the new DSM, he would have fallen under the Asperger's area, but since they eliminated that it is just Autism.  I have been trying to find a support group for a couple of months, but I live in a smaller town so they are not readily available.  There is one group within driving distance that is for parents of children with special needs in general, but they are on a break and won't be starting back up until February.  I am so overwhelmed with everything that I need to try and find some support before then, even if it is just a place to vent.  I think I am going through somewhat of a grieving process.  I mean I know it's not a fatal illness, I work in the mental health field and I have seen people with Autism lead fairly "normal" lives.  But, I also see how hard it can be for them and it makes me sad my son has to deal with that.  He is EXTREMELY bright with a 120+ IQ and that is only that low because of his extremely slow processing speed.  He has alot of motor planning issues which affect so many things in life.  Getting the ideas from his head to actuality is very hard for him.  He is verbal and is somewhat atypical in that he wants to be social, but he doesn't have any social skills so he can make friends, but cannot keep them.  He was FINALLY able to get on an IEP at school a couple of weeks ago and I am already seeing improvements academically and socially with the modifications they are making for him!  My son also has severe ADHD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Sensory Processing disorder, asthma, 5th Nerve palsy, GERD, and more.  He has had 7 surgeries in his life which are hard because his anxiety includes medical procedures.  There is not much worse than having to have you and 3 nurses to hold your child down to get a shot or blood draw or even an exam etc.  The whole time he is looking at you like you are the worst parent in the world.  I know I am rambling alot. :-)  There are just so many things that have me feeling a little crazy.  I love my kids more than anything in the world.  I would do anything for them.  I just wish life could be a little easier for my son.  He is now doing Art Therapy once a week, OT, PT and speech each once a week, plus all his doctor appointments.  It gets a little crazy and overwhelming sometimes.  I feel like his case manager, not his mom sometimes.  At work, I am a program director where I oversee 5 group homes for clients with DD, Autism and mental illness.  It is nice that I know what resources are out there to utilize for my son, but sometimes it would be nice to just be able to be his MOM. 

Anyway, that's my story.  Thanks! 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group Brenda! My oldest is son is 9 and was dx with pdd.nos when he was 3.5 and they say he is high funcitioning but his sensory issues and anxiety have given him many hardships along the way. It's been a roller coaster ride for us. This group has been a wonderful support for me and I think it will be for you as well. Feel free to jump in and start posting.  You can post about anything and everything.  

By the way, I am a hockey fan too :)

Quoting hockeyfans30:

Hi, my name is Brenda and my 9 year old son was recently diagnosed with Autism.  I believe had they not changed the diagnosis in the new DSM, he would have fallen under the Asperger's area, but since they eliminated that it is just Autism.  I have been trying to find a support group for a couple of months, but I live in a smaller town so they are not readily available.  There is one group within driving distance that is for parents of children with special needs in general, but they are on a break and won't be starting back up until February.  I am so overwhelmed with everything that I need to try and find some support before then, even if it is just a place to vent.  I think I am going through somewhat of a grieving process.  I mean I know it's not a fatal illness, I work in the mental health field and I have seen people with Autism lead fairly "normal" lives.  But, I also see how hard it can be for them and it makes me sad my son has to deal with that.  He is EXTREMELY bright with a 120+ IQ and that is only that low because of his extremely slow processing speed.  He has alot of motor planning issues which affect so many things in life.  Getting the ideas from his head to actuality is very hard for him.  He is verbal and is somewhat atypical in that he wants to be social, but he doesn't have any social skills so he can make friends, but cannot keep them.  He was FINALLY able to get on an IEP at school a couple of weeks ago and I am already seeing improvements academically and socially with the modifications they are making for him!  My son also has severe ADHD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Sensory Processing disorder, asthma, 5th Nerve palsy, GERD, and more.  He has had 7 surgeries in his life which are hard because his anxiety includes medical procedures.  There is not much worse than having to have you and 3 nurses to hold your child down to get a shot or blood draw or even an exam etc.  The whole time he is looking at you like you are the worst parent in the world.  I know I am rambling alot. :-)  There are just so many things that have me feeling a little crazy.  I love my kids more than anything in the world.  I would do anything for them.  I just wish life could be a little easier for my son.  He is now doing Art Therapy once a week, OT, PT and speech each once a week, plus all his doctor appointments.  It gets a little crazy and overwhelming sometimes.  I feel like his case manager, not his mom sometimes.  At work, I am a program director where I oversee 5 group homes for clients with DD, Autism and mental illness.  It is nice that I know what resources are out there to utilize for my son, but sometimes it would be nice to just be able to be his MOM. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Welcome to the group, Brenda!

Quoting hockeyfans30:

ilovepeter
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Hi my name is April and I have two boys one 7 and the other is 1 my oldest was dignoised with asd when he was two at first I thought it was fault wondering what I did wrong I still think sometimes I did something wrong during my pregnany with him I love my boys to pieces I need some advice on behaviour and how to deal with it and what I can do
CindyT08
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Hello My name is Cindy and my husband and I have two wonderful children! My daughter is six and she is very independent and loves horses and my son Chuyito as we call him is five and love planes and dancing. My son was diagnosed with Autism when he was three. He has made many improvements in the last two years but we still face challeges every day. Potty training has been at a stand still because I don't know how to help him make the connection that when he has the feeling... to go and my newest challenge how to get him to stop with all the sweets he doesnt eating very well because all he wants is sweets. Ive tried getting rid of them at home but anywhere else he goes they are there... I decided to join the group because there really isn't many children with Autism where we are from as a matter of fact my son is currently 1 out of two in the whole school. The other child just moved here about two months ago and the parents don't seem like they like to talk about there son's Autism. Having my son in this school has been a blessing because all though it is new to us all they have been very interactive with him and together we have been to overcome some of the new obstacles. Looking forward to making some new friends that I can relate to!:)

hockeyfans30
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!  Yes, sometimes I think it is just as hard when they are high functioning because people don't get that they still have many of the same issues.  My son really sort of falls through the cracks sometimes.  It took me a couple years to get him on an IEP at school, which finally happened and I have already seen changes in him!  Also, his therapies and medications are very expensive and we have horrible insurance with a very high deductible but because he is not entirely "disabled" we can't get much if any help with the bills! I don't want to pull him out of his therapy, but I don't know how much longer I can afford it.  My DH took a huge paycut after he went back to work after being laid off for nearly a year and I just started a new job in September after being laid off for 9 months.  Luckily I didn't take a cut, but between his and the $400.00 per month jump in insurance and the $4500.00 jump in deductible, it's painful!  His meds costs nearly $800.00 per month!  Well, I am looking forward to hopefully getting some good advice from this group, and maybe I can be of help to someone else also as I do work in the mental health field.  I work with mostly adults with DD and mental health issues currently, but in the past I have worked with several children including those with Autism.  I actually have written some behavior mod programs for my son!  :-)  Anyway, thanks again and I look forward to chatting with you! 

Quoting Charizma77:

Welcome to the group Brenda! My oldest is son is 9 and was dx with pdd.nos when he was 3.5 and they say he is high funcitioning but his sensory issues and anxiety have given him many hardships along the way. It's been a roller coaster ride for us. This group has been a wonderful support for me and I think it will be for you as well. Feel free to jump in and start posting.  You can post about anything and everything.  

By the way, I am a hockey fan too :)

Quoting hockeyfans30:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN