Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Planning more children?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:18 AM
  • 45 Replies

Are you having any more children?  Did your child's diagnosis impact that decision or no?

by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm 45 and had a hysterectomy  =/  ....No more here unless a miracle happens!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:33 AM
I'm 44, divorced & between me my boyfriend we have 3 boys. That's enough for me. I think if I was younger & happily married I'd want to go for a girl. But not this late in life.
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM
No. We have three kids. We decided while I was pregnant with our third that we were done.
meandmyboys124
by Kylynn on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:39 AM
we had a 3rd before our first 2 were diagnosed. 3rd was a surprise. if I had known that my older two had autism earlier, dh would have had his vasectomy much sooner and we wouldn't have had our last one. I'm not sure its fair to him because his brothers need so much attention.
MommyRJ
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Our 3rd and last is going to be born in 11 days.
Our 2nd was born before we even noticed changes or differences in our ASD child. They are only 18m apart. Now its been 3 years. Ds will be 5 this month. This baby was a surprise otherwise we were done. Now I'll be getting my tubes tied.

I'm anxious for the changes in the house for sure
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Took us 4 years of fertility treatments to get DS.
I was prego when Sam turned 5, but had horrible miscarriage. ON the weekend of Sams friend party (18 kids) and then next day family party of 22. Fetus was no longer, but i didnt pass the fetus... So for 72 hours i knew during those parties that Monday morning i was having a Dand C to remove the fetus.
Then...9 days later i hemmoraged... And needed another surgery.
It was a really hard time. Took me months to recover.
We were not trying for 2... I felt selfish trying for 2... I sat in that waiting room of fertility office for years... Crying with friends i had made.. Such mixed emotions... I wanted one if them to have 1 before I had 2.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

No, no, no, no, no, no, please no!!!  

And no, the dx did not influence the decision - having 4 does!!! 

Jodee24
by Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM
I had my tubes died the day after my daughter was born so no bc we didn't know she had autism. We have 1 of each and that's what we wanted
michelles89
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Md ds is high functioning but is still alot of work. He has sensory processing disorder and a ton of therapy! We had dd a year ago. I decided I wanted another one and didnt want to wait too long. We got married when she was 6 months old. (Ds was a previous relationship where we were engaged and broke up because he cheated on me continuously). My dh wants a 3rd and in on the fence I'd like to wait another year. My ds is most def the reason I'm on the fence. I don't think it would be fair to have another child. My ds goes to speech and regular psychiatrist appts. He does ot at daycare :) that's the only therapy we pay out of pocket. My dd sees a physical therapist too because she's not meeting her milestones :/ I don't think I'd want to drag another child to all these therapies. We'll see in a year I guess!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

NO more children for me LOL. The dx didn't impact the decision at all. My dh was snipped before we had a dx. I was almost 38 when my youngest was born and I he was early and had some difficulties during pregnancy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN