Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Stores in my small town have stopped carrying a ton of gf/cf foods in the last week!

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

I went grocery shopping for my son yesterday, and wanted to sob in the store.  He's a pretty picky eater, what with being 3 years old, having sensory issues, and you know, just being a stubborn kid (and a lack of discipline on the issue from mom and dad, I know!), and on top of it, we've got him on a gf/cf diet, plus dye free, because it is working wonders with him.  My husband and I both work crazy hours, and both have to go out of town this week for a conference, so I was shopping for easy foods for his sitter to make for him.  So, naturally, this was the week that the stores all decided to stop carrying the foods he likes.  We're in a small town, so there aren't many choices to begin with, but I find that I can get a few things at each of the three stores in town, and it works out. Walmart is the cheapest (by far!) so I typically get his bread and chicken tenders and pasta there, and guess what?  They stopped carrying them this week.  Just completely stopped.  I know because I asked several employees.  So the hunt began.  I went to the other two stores, and I found a much smaller package of the chicken for about the same price, so I picked it up because this week he will need it, especially with us being away.  I realize this isn't the end of the world, but it was so discouraging.  I wanted to cry in the store.  This diet isn't particularly easy to begin with.

Ok, pathetic rant over.

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Amazon has a lot of GF foods you can buy. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Sorry that really sounds frustrating. I have never tried the gf/cf diet because to be honest, I don't have the discipline. My friend does it and she makes everything from scratch. But I can tell its very hard. When she has time off from work and nobody is sick, she is cooking up a storm and my facebook feed is drowning in her organic, vegan, non GMO, gluetin free foods. But as soon as life sets in, they are all over there eating peanut butter sandwiches on sprouted wheat tortillas. lol

Its HARD! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Sorry mama!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM

That isn't a pathetic rant!

GFCF is a hard diet to follow! When you FINALLY find a store that carries what you need, you obviously would be upset if that store stopped carrying those foods!

Sorry, momma! That's aggravating!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Not pathetic at all.  I'm sorry that you had a frustrating shopping trip and I'm angry for you that the stores have stopped carrying the foods that your son can/will eat.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I'm sorry! That sounds so frustrating!

Macphee
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM
When our son went on the gf diet, we had no options at our walmat. Thank God for publix. I would buy corn meal and use that, and some cereals were rice or corn based. We ate only meats, veggies and fruits.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN