Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 2yo son goes for evaluation on Thursday.. oldest dx with autism

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 9 Replies
my four year old son(reyen) was diagnosed with autism at 2 1/2 years old ..he showed no signs i thought except for his speech (he stopped talking all together) and he was very picky only ate certain textures and colors..he hit all his milestones early until he was about 2 .. wonderful baby!! never expected it ..my second son was born before the diagnosis and he was right on time with everything started talking early loves to have everyone's attention .. very social was eating anything and everything... my youngest son (elias) will be three in dec and he stopped using words he used to doesn't eat well anymore .. he cries over every thing ... could this be something else i mean it wouldn't make a difference i wouldnt love him less but .. am i just feeling like it is because i been scared since my oldest was diagnosed because i knew there was a bigger chance he would be diagnosed too...I'm not sure ..any one been through this it have any advice it would be appreciated his eval is on Thursday but im stressed over it ..i also have a little girl on the way due Dec what are the chances a girl would have autism having a brother who does?
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

About probabilities...

If you have a girl who has autism, and then you have a boy, the chances that your new boy will have autism is very very high (read this in some science article. Sorry I don't have the link)

Its not the other way around. I mean, yes, there is an increased risk compared to the rest of the population, but there are no "probablity" numbers attached to it. Hope that makes sense.

I think its right to be watchful. Keep checking the milestones. Anything that seems not typical, I would consult your pediatrician or autism center if need be.

Hugs mom.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Not really sure mama...hugs!

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Just when you put all your energy into figuring out one kid, another one comes along and shakes everything up! My first child (a boy) seemed like a happy, go-lucky, roly-poly, active and extremely smart boy. His social skills were poor but I blamed that on his age. He's just three. He's just four. His preschool teacher finally alerted us that this might be a problem and we had a school eval done and he wound up in special eduation. A year later I was figuring out that he fit the profile of a kid with high functioning autism. And at seven, he had a medial diagnosis.

My 2nd child (a girl) was the opposite of her brother in every way. He was happy go-lucky. She was moody. He could memorize anything. She struggled to read. He couldn't follow directions or sit still. She was the start student who never gave her teachers a problem. He was a sensory seeker. She was an avoider.

Then I had a 3rd (another boy) and I've kept my eye on him closely. He reminds us a lot of his big brother. I called early intervention when he was two and he qualified. He is now receiving speech. Our school district isn't the best as far as services go so that is all he gets. I'm not ready to go for a medical dx because I don't see a reason to right now. Its not like the school will care. I do drive him a great distance to a private special school where they work on his language, speech and social skills.

As far as worrying about your new baby girl having a spectrum disorder, I have been told that once you have kid on the spectrum, its almost guarenteed that the rest of the kids will have something. I don't know if I beleive this or not but I do believe that it's important to keep a very close watch on them and to start early intervention as soon as anything is suspected, because they are at a higher risk. Girls are less likely to have a spectrum disorder so you do have that on your side. But if she has two brothers on the spectrum, just keep an eye on her.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Welcome to the group!  My youngest is the one here with autism so I don't really have any advice for you on the whole siblings with it too thing.  I can tell you though that my oldest son's father has three other kids besides our son.  My son's half brothers (2 of them) are both low functioning, but my son and his dad's daughter are NT.  My son is the oldest, his sister is in between the other 2 boys in birth order.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest has autism and y middle child doesn't and we don't see any early signs of autism in my youngest (he is 21 mo) but I sometimes stress aobut it.  I don't really have any advice but hugs and I am here if you need to talk!

reyen09
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM
my youngest son has not been diagnosed ..he is going for a eval on Thursday i was wondering what are the odds for him and my daughter on the way i can't get a exact number ...and i am worried could it be just a speech issue i guess I'm just stressing know i appreciate the comments and advice it helps i just don't have anyone to really talk too about it my husband is awareof the issues my oldest son has but tries to act like there are no issues allot and he refuses too believe my youngest could be on the spectrum maybe he's right and i should just stop stressing over it
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Dads tend to be like that. Especially about their sons. My dh is like that and I've seem other moms on here time and time again say it too. Dads don't want to believe anything is wrong with their kids.

Quoting reyen09:

my youngest son has not been diagnosed ..he is going for a eval on Thursday i was wondering what are the odds for him and my daughter on the way i can't get a exact number ...and i am worried could it be just a speech issue i guess I'm just stressing know i appreciate the comments and advice it helps i just don't have anyone to really talk too about it my husband is awareof the issues my oldest son has but tries to act like there are no issues allot and he refuses too believe my youngest could be on the spectrum maybe he's right and i should just stop stressing over it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HippoCat
by Hadley on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I know your stress. My son is almost 4 with ASD and my daughter is 17 mo and appears to be NT, but I get overly worried about her sometimes and get scared that it might reveal itself later. Sometimes I look at her and beg her in my head not to leave me like her brother did. (I know, silly, but true)
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I have 3 kids on the spectrum. It would be very easy to say one is NT compared to the other because they are all different and all had more subtle clues that they are autistic. They are very verbal and very social (too social sometimes). As far as girls go the chances are not higher for boys to have autism. Girls are just missed because they have different symptoms. It took until 10.5 years old for my oldest daughter to just finally get a diagnosis and my youngest daughter is going through being evaluated too. She just turned 2. It's best to keep a very close eye on them and have them all evaluated because as parents one kid can seem very typical compared to the more visibly severe one. Good luck!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)