Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Halloween Costume

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

So my five year old doesn't say very much. I'm trying to figure out what to dress him up as for Halloween. Last year I made him a little Mickey Mouse Costume. He didn't really keep the ears on but the rest was just clothes. I'm just wondering what everyone else is doing for their kids. Also if you're child is non-verbal or limited vocabulary how do you decide what to dress them as?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Ashton is verbal but if I just ask him he gets overwhelmed trying to decide. He is  almost 9 and I know what he likes so I took him to Target and showed him 3 costumes in our price range and he chose Superman. I was pleasantly surprised when he got home how excited he was about being superman. For him, he gets overwhelmed making decisions so I have to help by eliminating things for him or giving him options.  Maybe you can show him a picture of a few costumes  and have him point to the one he likes..

mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Thanks for the idea.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM

My son is mostly non-verbal. He will not wear costumes. I usually just get some generic halloween shirt and have him wear that. Most people never say anything about it. But then again, we don't do much door to door. We go to the schools trunk or treats and maybe hit up the churches trunk or treats. 

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Jacob wont wear costumes. So I just put him in clothes. Last year he had army shirt and pants. No clue for this year
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM

My son has lots of sensory issues.. so some costumes were too itchy, too confining, too furry, too hot... UGH... LOL
So recently Ive been getting him costumes that are JUST his clothes with something over as the costume. But these last 2 years we havent had Halloween due to snow storm and hurricane.
I know moms who let their kids go out in PJ's with blankets as "nappers"... ?

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
He's going as a pirate again. He likes the pirates on a train game he has on my phone and it was either pirate w 7 pieces for $20 or a Native American Indian with 3 for the same $20. He has to have something that is close to a shirt and pants. He doesn't talk much. so I choose.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Jeans, flannel shirt, cowboy boots and you can use a cowboy hat for his candy bag just transfer it to a bag in the car.

Quoting N.Carter2001:

Jacob wont wear costumes. So I just put him in clothes. Last year he had army shirt and pants. No clue for this year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnortysMom
by Cathleen on Oct. 8, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Aidan told me he wanted to be a pirate like 6 months ago. And that never changed! lol. 

I wanted to go all out and make him a Jack Sparrow costume, but to him that is not what a pirate really looks like. To Aidan, a pirate has a black hat with a skull on it, wears a puffy shirt and wears an eye patch. 

We found the one Aidan really liked, so we bought it right away. I'll have to have him model it for me so I can take some pics to share. 

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We've always gone for comfort.  My son made it so easy this year, he wants to be Sheldon Cooper!  Bought a cheap red Flash t'shirt , already have the brown pants!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Maybe let him choose from something online?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN