Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Help!!! where do I go from here????

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

My daugher is 9 and was diagnosed with adhd when she was 6. She started having sensory issues at a young age but was looked over. Recengtly she started having tantrums and other behaviors so we were sent to a psychaitrist. The psychatrist asked some questions did some questianirs and based off of her observation made a diagnosis of autism,odd and anxiety. she then told me to write a letter to have my daughter tested to get OT and social skill help. Today I had a phone conference and the school counselor, school psychologist, and her teacher said they find no reason to test her bc base off of what they see she has no signs of autisim and her sensory issues are not a problem at school. I think this is so unfair bc she is a totally different child at home and yes I agree that one may never know she is autistic but still why do they have the right to decide for me; so what do i do????

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM
I know there are ladies on here who can advise you more specifically, but first things first, officially request an IEP. They cannot deny that request and they will be forced to evaluate her. It's the law.
momofblueeyes04
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:11 PM

That is what I did and that is when they told me they had nothing to test her on bc she is doing so well academically.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

I know there are ladies on here who can advise you more specifically, but first things first, officially request an IEP. They cannot deny that request and they will be forced to evaluate her. It's the law.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM

So, just so Im clear. You contacted the head of special education by writing a letter requesting an evaluation for your DD, and they refused? 

Or you asked the teacher/ school psychologist..and they told you the tests were not warranted becuase academically she is doing fine? 

Or you wrote the head of special ed and asked for a evaulation and they refused? 

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM

FAQs About Your Child’s Evaluation

Q: How do I find out if my child is eligible for special education?

A: The first step is to find out if your child has a disability. To do this, ask the school to evaluate your child. Write a letter to the principal or Superintendant and ask that your child be evaluated for special education. In your letter, give some information about your child's educational problems. (To learn how to write letters, see Chapter 23, Writing Good Letters, Appendix I of Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy.)

The school may think your child needs special education help because he or she may have a disability. If so, then the school must evaluate your child at no cost to you.

However, the school does not have to evaluate your child just because you asked. The school may not think your child has a disability or needs special education. In this case, the school may refuse to evaluate your child. If they refuse, they must let you know their decision in writing, and why they refused to evaluate.

If the school refuses to evaluate your child, there are some steps you can take immediately:

• Ask the school system for information about its special education policies, as well as parent rights to disagree with decisions made by the school system. These materials should describe the steps parents can take to challenge a school system’s decision.
  • Get in touch with your state’s Parent Training and Information (PTI) center.

Your PTI is an excellent resource to help you learn more about special education, your rights and responsibilities, and the law. Your PTI can tell you what steps to take next to find help for your child. To locate a PTI in your state, check our Directory of Parent Training Information Centers. Your PTI will be listed there.

http://www.fetaweb.com/01/faqs.evals.htm

all found at www.wrightslaw.com... 

MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Kindly let them know they cannot refuse your request for an IEP as it is against federal law.

Also you have a medical diagnosis and that trumps them 100%.

Quoting momofblueeyes04:

That is what I did and that is when they told me they had nothing to test her on bc she is doing so well academically.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

momofblueeyes04
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Yes I wrote a formal letter to the school and during the phone conference with them they pretty much refused saying that she was doing to well academically and also showed no sensory issues during the day (keep in mind she is medicated). I then went to the assistant director or special education and she I'd she will look into it and will get bk to me. Thank you for all your help I'm going to look into it more and with me going higher up that might have helped

Quoting SamMom912:

So, just so Im clear. You contacted the head of special education by writing a letter requesting an evaluation for your DD, and they refused? 

Or you asked the teacher/ school psychologist..and they told you the tests were not warranted becuase academically she is doing fine? 

Or you wrote the head of special ed and asked for a evaulation and they refused? 

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
What problems do you see with her at school? In other words, what things or issues does she have that interfere with her having access to her education?

She may not need an IEP. However they can't deny special services from a child based on passing grades.

Check out wrightslaw.com. Spend lots of time there reading. It's filled with so much good info.

Medical Dx and school labels aren't the same thing - meaning just because you have one doesn't mean you have the other. You can be receive special services at school and have a dr tell you they are fine. Or vice versa which is what is happening to you.

One friends child has a permanent arm disability (dr pulled her neck at birth and tore all the muscles leaning her arm damaged). Yet the school refuses to give services. So they seek out private OT.

Another friend had her child Dx with dyslexia. She's in 3rd grade and can't read. She fought for an eval, finally got it, but was found ineligible.

Some (ok, many) schools are a joke. You have to be your child's advocate and it sounds like you are. Keep it up and never give up. Hugs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Here the child's school doesn't do the testing. You have to call the district office. That's where the special education office is.They will tell you to write a letter and who it should be addressed to. They will do the testing in that building and some at the child's school.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:51 AM

This.  Exactly.  Hugs mama!

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Kindly let them know they cannot refuse your request for an IEP as it is against federal law.

Also you have a medical diagnosis and that trumps them 100%.

Quoting momofblueeyes04:

Quoting MissTacoBell:

bigmama423
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:11 PM

You can try contacting the district maybe, and letting them know what is going on. If she's doing fine in school and an IEP is not required, maybe you should look for services outside of school??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)