Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

ASD kid and murder/suicide obsession??

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi, y'all! I'm a mommy of 3, including a 12 yr old Aspie kid. His obsession is video game cheats, glitches, anything "unusual" about the game.  He recently stumbled across a website called "Creepy Pasta" which tells strories about creepy happenings within the video game world (sounds silly, i know). For example, he was telling me this morning about a bunch of suicides that occured right after kids would play "lavender Town" on Pokemon.  Its pretty much far fetched fairy tales for gamer kids like my babe, but he thinks they are true.  And he is really, really interested in it.  Now this is a new obsession and I'm hoping it goes away on its own, but should I make him stop looking at them?  I'm conflicted because I myself like to read cold case files and things like that so I know how he can find this stuff interesting, but he gets obsessive (Aspie trait) and I don't want him going to school taking about suicide/murders!

Advise, please?  :)

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lancet98
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Try to shift his interest to something else.   A lot of kids with Aspergers don't totally understand what these things mean or how it sounds to other people.

Since he likes 'unusual' things he might like some of the stunt shows where guys do goofy things and wind up with something more like a minor injury....

A friend told me her 13 yr old with Aspergers was up late at night because his younger brother was really sick.

UNfortunately it seems, he happened to turn on the tv and see an episode of Conan, that involved....yes....men tieing things to their....ah....naughty bits.

Yes.   And YES, he was screaming with laughter, and YES, the next six .months, that was his obsession.

jowen905
by Jan on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Hi, I have a 12 year old son, also, who gets "obsessed" about different things and then they generally go away and are replaced by something else.  I wouldn't let my son look at something like that though, especially if he believed it to be true.  I can just foresee problems like you mentioned in school. 

On occasion, when he's interested in something I don't want him to be, I just tell him it's not appropriate for a 12 year old child, but he can look at this or that or whatever, in place of it.  No more discussion.  He knows if he doesn't listen I'll just take the device away (or whatever it is), so he doesn't really give me any trouble about it.  That's just what I would do, you know your child best!  (And I also like to read cold case files and murder mysteries, etc.!)

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Like the other ladies have said, try to redirect him.  My 12 year old also tends to develop obsessions with various things (right now it's Minecraft, but has been legos, pokemon, etc).  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I agree with these ladies...good luck!

bigmama423
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I agree with all the above!

My son has such strange obsessions as well. Luckily none have been too bad that we've really had to redirect him though.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I would probably redirect.  My NT son is almost 11, and I don't think I would even let him look at that stuff at age 12.  Kids already grow up too soon.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:49 AM

I have a 12 year old also! I would definitely tell him that's not appropriate and you don't want him looking at that website any longer. I've had to say that to mine before...even with TV shows.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I would make him stop looking at them. Our kids have a hard time distinguishing reality from made up stuff. If he could tell you there is a difference and really understand there is then I could see allowing it but I am not sure that he could.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)