Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorced... older son doesn't want to live with autistic son

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hello All~

Have have been divorced for a few years now. Ever since they were little my older son and younger son (has autism/aspergers) have a great deal of tention between them. As you know an autistic kid can do things that just make you nuts which I've gotten use to and have the patients of a snail. I've actually grown to adnore his sillyness. My older son doesn't have patients (he's 12) and lashes out at my younger son (9). I'm affraid that it will get progressively worse as they get older and I don't want either of them to get hurt.

They are both amazing boys and very good. Neither of them are in the wrong but it's just their chemestry together can be bad. They love each other very much but do not like being around each other at all. They like to love each other at a distance.

I do see a huge difference in my autistic son when my older one is away visiting his father. I'm wondering that maybe it's unhealthy that they are living together... I'm just very confused right now and wanted to see if there are any other mothers out there who have or are going through this. Specifically those who are divorced.

I never thought the day would come that I would even consider seperating my children but it's become very unhealthy. I'm entertaining the idea of my older son living with his father (lives 10 min away). 

I'm so confused :(

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mrsary
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Only you know whats best for your family and you seem to believe separation is whats best.
Del672
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM

What was their relationship like when the 12 yr old was much younger?  My autistic granddaughter has NO relationship with her older brother...or her little sister.   So sorry you are doing this on your own.  Could be hormones now that he's 12? 

bigmama423
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Wow, this is a tough one! I have no experience with this. I think you have to do what you feel is best for everyone, no matter how hard it might be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)