Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Ask the Expert: All About the GFCF Diet For Autistic Kids & More

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 95 Replies
1 mom liked this

Have you been considering a GFCF diet for your child but don't know where to start?  Are you already living gluten-free, casein-free but looking for additional support and advice?  Is the idea of treating your autistic child's symptoms through diet a new idea for you? 

Barrie Silberberg, mom and author of The Autism & ADHD Diet: A Step-by-Step Guide to Hope & Healing by Living Gluten Free and Casein Free (GFCF) and Other Interventions, will be here to advise you on how to implement the diet.  She can advise you where to shop for foods, how to eat away from home, and more. 

Barrie will begin answering your questions on Monday, October 21 and she will continue throughout the week. 

Ask your questions now for a chance to win one of three copies of "The Autism & ADHD Diet." The more questions you post, the better your chances of winning!

Welcome, Barrie!  Thank you for being here!

The Giveaway Rules:

The Autism & ADHD Diet Giveaway starts 10/21/2013 at 11am (ET) and ends 10/25/2013 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. Three winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a copy of The Autism & ADHD Diet by Barrie Silberman.
The random drawing shall occur on or about 11/7/13. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kalic0
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My child is already on gfcf diet (actually it is gfdf). However,my son is really texture oriented, and store bought items are very expensive. So I need recipe gluten and dairy free recipe ideas that are not too complicated but will create foods with the cunchy and chewy textures he prefers.
othermom
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Where is a good palce to find gluten free recipies

strmrayne
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
How do you incorporate this diet for children with severe food aversions? It seems the only food my child likes are those that should be excluded.
lorena1967
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM
My son has no gi issues and he has no allwrgiea. He eats a variery of food. He craves bread and sugar so I'm starting gluten free. My question is the advantages of only thw gluten free diet with casein. Do I need to do it casein free to work and why?
Shai4710
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM

What drew you to your conclusions regarding the GFCF diet?  I have found that this diet did not work with my son, however the elimination diet did. 

aandt1999
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I have thought about it more than once, but the reality is, he is extremely picky as it is and I don't see how I could possibly narrow his diet anymore than it already is. I am just happy when he eats at all.

bpb2661
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Curious on the best places to eat out are? We eat out quite a bit. My son loves potatoes!!! French fries esp which is pretty easy considering most are gf!
bpb2661
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Also what are effects of taking out casein? My son is only gf...never tried casein free.
cyndibee93
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Is Caffeine and chocolate as well as foods with enriched flour a problem food(s)?

BautifuHart9699
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Please help i need a better diet for my daughter. She has ADHD but i believe she is also Autistic. I NEED HELP!!!!!!!…
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)