Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Stopping Therapy

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM
  • 14 Replies
My son has been in OT and ST for a year and a half. OT has really benefited him, but ST not as much. He started a private school this year that is sensory friendly and it has helped him so much. I love his OT, but am considering stopping both therapies. Has anyone stopped therapy before their child has been "released" by the therapist?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

We stopped private OT and ST when DS ASD 6yo is in school,he receives these therapies as part of his IEP,and there is just no time to get him to any more therapy besides a full school day.

HippoCat
by Hadley on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I've considered dropping speech, but we love our OT way too much. She recommended a new speech therapist and we are progressing much more now. If you feel like the needs are getting met elsewhere then I can see where you would stop them.

BDSMI
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM

We spoke with my son's therapist when we hit all the goals we set for him (took us 3 years).  We felt that we took him as far as we could.  The best therapy was exposure to the world.  We immersed him into school, activity that we felt we could accomplish and challenged him to do his best. Today he is a happy 14 year old ASD child who goes to teen bible study and takes tumbling.  He is in the MH room at school and not mainstreamed but small group for all classes (about ten students) he is doing remarkable.  My advice is simply this...is he where you want him to be.  He is your child and traveling this road I have found there is no right or wrong answer.  You know what your child's needs are and if you felt those needs have been met then yes I would stop therapy.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:58 AM

I stopped therapy at school because it wasn;t helping and only made him more frustrated. It also took him out of his academic classes that he really needed to be in!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I've thought about taking him out of his therapies at school too...he only gets 30 minutes once per week and all he does is manipulate the therapists...it's kind of pointless.  He gets OT, PT, Speech, Feeding, and ABA therapies outside of school...he makes most of his progress there anyways.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

I stopped therapy at school because it wasn;t helping and only made him more frustrated. It also took him out of his academic classes that he really needed to be in!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:36 AM
1 mom liked this

The only one D ever liked was his 3rd grade year of OT...our gym teacher stepped in and thought OT would be more fun if it was actual gym activities with a couple of really nice kids.D loved it~ Other than that, our therapists and the lack of doing anything that actually helped made it an easy choice to stop them.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I've thought about taking him out of his therapies at school too...he only gets 30 minutes once per week and all he does is manipulate the therapists...it's kind of pointless.  He gets OT, PT, Speech, Feeding, and ABA therapies outside of school...he makes most of his progress there anyways.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

shortnsweet53
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

We had to stop therapy due to lack of money and running out of insurance coverage.  Although we had excelent insurance, it was lacking in mental health coverage at the time.  Our son is now 20 and living on his own.  Naturally our insurance has changed and he would recieve the services he needed way back then.  I don't think Obamacare would provide what he needs.

blessings, shortnsweet53 aka Win
Koltie6
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
We stopped speech therapy because it was not helping. We began treating the underlying causes and his speech soared.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I stopped ST and OT before because I felt the fit wasn't right for my child. I gave him a break and then started ST back up. He loves his new therapist and that is a big difference from screaming as soon as I pulled on the street of the other place. As for his OT he goes in for his new evaluation and the new center I have enrolled him in the next 2 weeks. I wasn't going to start OT back up but my son's ABA felt he could benefit from it. So he will go back to OT. My son also receives OT 2 times a month and SP 4 times a month at school.

blessedhappymom
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM
I completely agree aboutimmersion into the real world :-). Just being in school has helped him so much. Thank you for sharing about your son...its always encouraging to hear about others accomplishments.

Quoting BDSMI:

We spoke with my son's therapist when we hit all the goals we set for him (took us 3 years).  We felt that we took him as far as we could.  The best therapy was exposure to the world.  We immersed him into school, activity that we felt we could accomplish and challenged him to do his best. Today he is a happy 14 year old ASD child who goes to teen bible study and takes tumbling.  He is in the MH room at school and not mainstreamed but small group for all classes (about ten students) he is doing remarkable.  My advice is simply this...is he where you want him to be.  He is your child and traveling this road I have found there is no right or wrong answer.  You know what your child's needs are and if you felt those needs have been met then yes I would stop therapy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)