Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

reading problems with a 3rd grader...

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son is 9 and in 3rd grade. He doesn't know how to read in his head yet so he reads aloud. Which is fine because I need to hear if he is reading accurately and what not. His problem is, is that when reading he doesn't know how to breathe properly. So instead of making it to the end of a short sentence he has to stop after like 2 words to take a breath and doesn't know how to work the breathing in, in order for his reading to be smooth. Any suggestions? Something for an ENT to check out or speech therapy? 

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I would suggest speech therapy...or maybe some tutoring from his teacher.  Good luck!

TheJerseyGirl
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Does he typically get out of breath? If so, then definitely take him to a doctor.

I think at that age, their reading isn't as effortless as an older child.. I would just work with him and ,by example, show him how to read properly. Maybe he is trying too hard and the force of reading aloud is making him short of breath? Tell him to relax and possibly use a quieter voice when he reads to himself. I think with more practice he'll be fine!

EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Speech therapy. Also go back to little kid books and have him practice on those. Teach him that commas also mean a breath. Maybe some poetry? This is pretty common problem at that age and while it should be addressed its not too far out of range for typical.
Clemency3
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I am actually going to take him to a doctor. as an infant he needed a nebulizer a lot so since the idea of breathing problem popped into my mind I was able to recall that. So am going to get him checked for asthma. 

I have to repeat 100 times over to him to calm down. I tell him to read slowly rather than trying to read so quick because I think he gets anxious with it which is another issue that we will need to work on. 

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Does he typically get out of breath? If so, then definitely take him to a doctor.

I think at that age, their reading isn't as effortless as an older child.. I would just work with him and ,by example, show him how to read properly. Maybe he is trying too hard and the force of reading aloud is making him short of breath? Tell him to relax and possibly use a quieter voice when he reads to himself. I think with more practice he'll be fine!

Clemency3
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM

that's good to know. I have no clue what is "normal" anymore in terms of what they should be able to do at what age. In fact I think many of the things they are expected to be able to do are a little far fetched some times so it is hard to know if this is causing him to be behind in reading or if it is right on par...so, thanks for your response. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Speech therapy. Also go back to little kid books and have him practice on those. Teach him that commas also mean a breath. Maybe some poetry? This is pretty common problem at that age and while it should be addressed its not too far out of range for typical.

EthansMomma2010
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I totally agree! Your welcome. I tutor kids in reading occasionally and these are just some things I've picked up on.

Quoting Clemency3:

that's good to know. I have no clue what is "normal" anymore in terms of what they should be able to do at what age. In fact I think many of the things they are expected to be able to do are a little far fetched some times so it is hard to know if this is causing him to be behind in reading or if it is right on par...so, thanks for your response. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Good thoughts:)

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)