Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

We're getting the diagnosis today

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm not even sure how I feel about it all.  I'm not going to the appointment, my husband is, because we decided that I tend to be too emotional about it all and it wouldn't be helpful for me to be a sobbing mess in the doctor's office.  But after more than a month of testing, I guess I'm just ready to hear what they have to say.  It is bizarre, I've known for over a year, I've been pretty comfortable with it, but now that we are getting a formal diagnosis, I'm a mess.  I think I just needed to share it with people that would understand.

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I knew without a doubt that my daughter was autistic. I was shocked how hard it was to hear the doctor actually say "Your daughter has autism." It's hard but it was the beginning of getting her the help she needed to function more easily & ultimately has improved our relationship. Hugs to you.
amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM

group hug

Even when you "know" it, it's hard to hear someone else say it the first time.

kjlmommy
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Hey, thank you.  Really.  It helps knowing that there are people that understand this. I think that some of our friends and family don't understand what a big deal it is to have it be official, as opposed to just known.  We made it through.  It was exactly what we expected, not necessarily what we had hoped.  We're going to be fine, we have been given some more resources to look into, and a lot of things to read and check into.  I truly appreciate the support.

wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Awe hugs mom...welcome to the group. How old is your son? My son is 8 & was diagnosed at 4. It's a hard thing to face. But you'll get through it. This is a great support group. We're all here for you hugs!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Hugs and welcome!

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Hugs. We got our diagnosis about 2 weeks ago. He will be 4 in about a month. I knew something wasn't right but was in denial until some dr wanted him diagnosed and rushed the testing. I am still dealing with the emotions. I am more emotional when it comes to him. If that makes any sense.

I wanted u to know that we all know how u feel!
HippoCat
by Hadley on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I was the same way. It's tough even though you already know the answer. Hugs.

kjlmommy
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

He's three... we've been doing EI for over a year, and we've seen a ton of improvement in him in the last year, and even in the last few weeks.  He just keeps growing!  It really is great to see, and I'm trying to focus on that. 

maciymommieof3
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:30 PM

keep up the good work momma!

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I knew for over a year by the time my son was diagnosed (2 months ago) as well. For me, it was like he wasn't officially autistic until they diagnosed him, so that was a little bit of an adjustment even though nothing actually changed. It was a relief to have the anticipation of the appointment and the actual diagnosis over and done with. It's nice to be able to just move forward. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN