Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep issues in Autism

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi, I am the mother of an 8 year old ASD son! I have not had any issues with my son's sleeping patterns since he was roughly 2 years old..until just recently. Although getting him to bed at a decent hour, him falling alseep quickly and keeping him there is not an issue, he wakes at midnight every night now for the past 4 nights. His heart is racing and he runs around the house, turning on lights and pacing. He is extremily irratable, anxious and is slowly becoming violent, I imagine due to the lack of sleep. I tried putting him back in his bed, but he continues to get up and I am having a hard time controlling any of his behaviours. I Homeschool so I know that it is not caused by an outside source. I am so frustrated, I see him regressing rapidly and I am afraid that I will ''lose'' him! I question the up coming time change, or his lack of communication skills, perhaps not hearing the sound of the air conditioner running, or the tick tock of his clock..but I really don't know for sure. Is anyone else having similar issues? Any feedback would be helpful and I would appreciate it greatly!

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Is there something that he's recently become anxious about?  Maybe a television show or a story he's heard is bothering him?  Something maybe different in his routine?

Have you talked with his doctor or tried any nutritional supplements?  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Welcome to the group!  I have the same questions as Amy:)  Good luck!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Welcome to the group...is he uncomfortable for some reason? Maybe an ear infection? Would he tell you if he was? My son wakes up when his ears hurt & he gets violent. Or maybe now that the ac is off he's waking up because of outside noise. I keep the fan on all year in my sons room. I just point it away from him. I think it helps soothe him asleep & drowns out any outside noises.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM

My son does this when he is anxious about something (good or bad) or if he feels sick..mainly his throat or his stomach. My son is 8.5 and every so often we go through a night like this and sometimes it lasts for a few nights in a row..it is so frustrating but only thing that works is for my hubby and I to take turns with him and to remain calm.

SAMI_JO
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:08 AM

This sounds like my son when he was having night terrors. Yes it is different from nightmares.

Jodee24
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
My daughter who has autism has had awful sleep issues. We recently got her a weighted bean bag blanket (very heavy it goes by weight) but since we got it she sleeps all night. Helps calms her sensories and all. Good luck
maciymommieof3
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

good luck... my issue's are just getting him to go to bed.

jessica.v102
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM
try melatonin
Melisaxx
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Thank you all so much for your feedback!  This is such a struggle everyday but knowing that I am not alone..even though many of you are so far away is so reassuring and I am thankful to each and everyone of you!! :)  We are heading into week 2 of lack of sleep. Nick did however sleep a full night on Saturday, last night was pretty tough, he wouldn't stay in his bed at all...so sitting on the couch waiting for him to wear himself out and fall asleep started extra early! We started Melatonin on Friday night, I know that it may take sometime for it to really change. Can anyone share their experiences with Melatonin? This site is amazing, I am so happy that I found it!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)