Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Get him to drink something else

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 14 Replies
My son is 5 and is moderately autistic and has sensory processing disorder as well. He's a very picky eater and drinker.
My challenge iright now is trying to get him to drink something else besides chocolate milk. He will rarely drink water any juice we have tried he will gag and spit it out.
I'm not sure how to get him to try new things foods or drinks.
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Keep introducing new foods on the table.  I use the moto "Try it, you might like it."  If he doesn't like it he doesn't have to eat or drink it any more.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Good luck with that mama...my son won't drink anything by mouth except water from the bathtub!  LOL!  He has a feeding tube.  Hugs!

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Is he gagging because of the different consistency? Does he also gag from straight water or just the juice? Chocolate milk can be pretty thick and going from that to a watery liquid when he's not used to it may be confusing. I'd try slowly watering down his milk so he can get used to different consistencies, then maybe try different flavored milk like strawberry or grape, then try those flavors in juice.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I agree with consistancy issue... He needs a liquid that gives good feedback like choco milk--- sounds like he has poor oral motor awareness. Do you use a vibrating toothbrush? Make sure you brush tongue and inner cheeks.

Have you tried thicker consistency? Choc milk shake? Tomato juice?

I think thinning out liquid slowly may help as coffeemom said.

A good read is "just take a bite"... All about steps for overcoming feeding/ oral motor issues.
sweet_pea_1116
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Yes I think its the consistency of the foods or drinks he also gags on mashed potatoes (actually threw up at school when the teacher forced him to try them)
Today He took a drink accidentally of his brothers apple juice (which he used to love) he got it swallowed down but wouldn't drink his milk because he was unsure of it even though we showed him it wasn't juice. He doesn't gag from straight water just juice. The other day we caught him drinking grandmas mt dew.

I'm just concerned because he's drastically cut down on his liquid and his pee output is way down.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:Is he gagging because of the different consistency? Does he also gag from straight water or just the juice? Chocolate milk can be pretty thick and going from that to a watery liquid when he's not used to it may be confusing. I'd try slowly watering down his milk so he can get used to different consistencies, then maybe try different flavored milk like strawberry or grape, then try those flavors in juice.
sweet_pea_1116
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Bradly doesn't like the noise of the vibrating tooth brush but we have a regular tooth brush and he loves having his teeth brushed and his tongue cheeks and roof of his mouth.

He doesn't do well with Choco shakes he refuses to drink.

Quoting SamMom912:

I agree with consistancy issue... He needs a liquid that gives good feedback like choco milk--- sounds like he has poor oral motor awareness. Do you use a vibrating toothbrush? Make sure you brush tongue and inner cheeks.

A good read is "just take a bite"... All about steps for overcoming feeding/ oral motor issues.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM

So you need to find another way to increase his oral motor awareness... If he doesnt like the noise of the toothbrush... He needs something to "wake ithe feeling in his mouth up"... Perhaps that book will have some ideas on how to increase. Good luck. 

Quoting sweet_pea_1116:

Bradly doesn't like the noise of the vibrating tooth brush but we have a regular tooth brush and he loves having his teeth brushed and his tongue cheeks and roof of his mouth.

He doesn't do well with Choco shakes he refuses to drink.

Quoting SamMom912:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM

If he likes the thicker choc milk you could try pediasure.  It comes in all sorts of flavors, and if he is a picky eater (mine is too) it would help fill in some of the missing nutrients if there are some food groups he does not like to eat.  Good luck! 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Have you talked to any of his therapists or a dr about it? My friends son needed feeding therapy to get him to eat and drink new foods. Good luck!

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM
I was also thinking about feeding therapy. My son has been getting feeding therapy with an OT since he has been 18 months. He is now in a feeding clinic. It has helped dramatically. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)