Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Conferences - coming up for anyone else?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM
  • 12 Replies

We have conferences coming up in about a week, and I am starting to get nervous.  The kids have all been making tons of progress, yet some of the teachers/aids struggle with their extra needs in the classroom so may not think their placement is correct.  I wouldn't mind if it was just me and the SPED teacher as I get along well with her, but the large group of all the therapists, aids, teachers, etc.  It's just so much.  Anyone else have them coming up?  Think yours will go well?

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I dread conferences and IEP meetings most times.  Sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised to learn of things my son is doing that I had no idea of....small stuff to playing on the playground to bigger stuff like participating in a mainstreamed class.  It definitely helps if you have team members that are positive, and strength based.  Good Luck to all of us as we gear up for conferences :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Brady's IEP meeting isn't until May.  This year he will also have his elligibility meeting where we need to change some things.  I'm not looking forward to it though.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I agree it depends soooo much on the team you get each year.  My SPED teacher is amazing and I have 1 great aid, a great gen ed teacher.  But there's a lot of others involved that aren't so 'great' maybe?  Hoping it all goes well! 

Quoting Jenibob:

I dread conferences and IEP meetings most times.  Sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised to learn of things my son is doing that I had no idea of....small stuff to playing on the playground to bigger stuff like participating in a mainstreamed class.  It definitely helps if you have team members that are positive, and strength based.  Good Luck to all of us as we gear up for conferences :)

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Someone on my other post said they only had the annual IEP meeting (us too, but then we have 3 conferences just on their progress results during the year.)  Maybe it's a midwest thing.

What is an elligibility meeting?  I don't think I have heard of those and Brady is the same age as my kids so wonder if I have that in my future.  All these meetings just get me anxious!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Brady's IEP meeting isn't until May.  This year he will also have his elligibility meeting where we need to change some things.  I'm not looking forward to it though.

jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM
I really dread meetings at the school. We have had as many as 5 IEPs each year as unfortunately, the tactic seems to be to wear us down rather than meet my daughter's needs. My boss practically rolls his eyes when I tell him I need the morning off for yet another IEP meeting. Fortunately he is supportive & understands it's not at our request. We finally hired a lawyer for our next meeting so hopefully it'll be productive. My daughter is only 6 and, counting mediation, we've had 17 meetings so far. I'm worn out but when I look at her, I know we have to keep going.
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I'm sad to hear that.  Mine are in preK and I go in with 2-3 advocates each time, along with continually fighting for their rights.  I think it is ridiculous that we as parents of these kids, who already have enough issues/challenges to overcome, have to also fight for their basic rights.  It annoys me to no end.  I'm sorry you had to get a lawyer.  That is the school system just taking things too far.  Good luck!

Jenn8604
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM
His parent teacher conference went great. He's ahead of ALL the kindergartners work wise, now for him to work on behavior, taking turns, and socializing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Well, they are about to do teacher conferences this week actually.  We do get progress reports every 9 weeks as well.  We can request a conference anytime though.  I'm VERY close with Brady's teacher.  She's watched him for us before.  I have her personal cell number.  I don't typically do conferences with her as I just call her on the phone when I have questions.  Plus I see her every day when I take him to school and pick him up.  She always gives me details about his day:)  

At Brady's school, because it's a special ed preschool in the public school system, only children who are 25% or more delayed in more than 1 area qualify for the program.  Some children may qualify one year and not the next.  Of course Brady has qualified every year.  After 3 years, they have an eligibility meeting again...just like when he first started.  They do a short eval to ensure his needs are being met at the school, to make sure he doesn't need to go elsewhere, and so on.  It's also the time to change his diagnosis per the school.  When he first started 3 years ago, he had the medical diagnosis of Autism, but they gave him the qualifying diagnosis of "developmentally delayed" as that's what they do with pretty much all the 2 year olds who come in.  Now, that he's 5 years old, I need that changed to "Autism" so that he will qualify for other programs once he leaves his current school next year.  They will change it without evaluating him or anything since he already has a medical diagnosis.  It's just a bunch of red tape if you ask me!  LOL!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Someone on my other post said they only had the annual IEP meeting (us too, but then we have 3 conferences just on their progress results during the year.)  Maybe it's a midwest thing.

What is an elligibility meeting?  I don't think I have heard of those and Brady is the same age as my kids so wonder if I have that in my future.  All these meetings just get me anxious!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Got it.  We have hoops like that here to jump through too.

And I know what you mean about Brady's teacher.  I'm like that with ours and so am going to cry at the end of this year when they move on to their new school!!  I just want to take her with us! 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Well, they are about to do teacher conferences this week actually.  We do get progress reports every 9 weeks as well.  We can request a conference anytime though.  I'm VERY close with Brady's teacher.  She's watched him for us before.  I have her personal cell number.  I don't typically do conferences with her as I just call her on the phone when I have questions.  Plus I see her every day when I take him to school and pick him up.  She always gives me details about his day:)  

At Brady's school, because it's a special ed preschool in the public school system, only children who are 25% or more delayed in more than 1 area qualify for the program.  Some children may qualify one year and not the next.  Of course Brady has qualified every year.  After 3 years, they have an eligibility meeting again...just like when he first started.  They do a short eval to ensure his needs are being met at the school, to make sure he doesn't need to go elsewhere, and so on.  It's also the time to change his diagnosis per the school.  When he first started 3 years ago, he had the medical diagnosis of Autism, but they gave him the qualifying diagnosis of "developmentally delayed" as that's what they do with pretty much all the 2 year olds who come in.  Now, that he's 5 years old, I need that changed to "Autism" so that he will qualify for other programs once he leaves his current school next year.  They will change it without evaluating him or anything since he already has a medical diagnosis.  It's just a bunch of red tape if you ask me!  LOL!

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM

We do an iEP instead of conference and Ashton's is in February.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN