Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Don't know what to do!!!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

I want to cry right now! My son Caleb has been to the doctor,but just when we got the news he has Autism,and has been diagnosed the doctor now say's he's to little. He is 2,but I just know the earlier I get him diagnosed the better. They are testing again in Jan,after his doc has said he is on the spectrum. We just needed to find out were he is on it. I mean I see their point he is little,but my baby can't go to the store without breaking down. I don't know what to do! Has anyone else had this happen? Two diff docs have diagnosed him,but now he has to wait for another. Sorry for the rant just frustrated. Thank you

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Hugs mama...it takes time for everything to settle in.  It will get better:)  

X_Patriot_Mom_X
by New Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Dont worry just give it a bit. Take a deep breath and figure out your game plan. Children with autism have such an awesome unique personality. However they also tend to like things a certain way. Schedule schedule schedule. Stick to a really structured routine. You'll be fine *hugs*

jesusfreak123
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Thank you! 

jesusfreak123
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

lol I'm learning about the schedule the hard way. He is precious that's for sure.

LADYxGHOST
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
At his age, where he is on threw spectrum isn't that important and may very well change with early intervention and maturity. Focus on the issues not the diagnosis. It will be difficult, but raising children always is, regardless of a diagnosis. My ds and I have a special bond and I wouldn't change him for the world, but there are times, especially when he was younger, that I thought I couldn't do it. somehow we made it through, taking one day at a time. You most likely will cry a lot more, it is a difficult thing to see your child struggle and have break downs. Take time for yourself away from your child, to care for your needs and to refresh yourself. That is important for parents of any toddler, but for parents of autistic children it is critical. With early intervention, you can do much of it yourself. Read up on Autism and early intervention. You can do this. And it is worth it.
wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Hugs mommy...your on the right track. Your a good mama so breath you'll get there.
emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Some ESE public preschools allow children with Autism to attend at 2 years.  I would get him in as soon as possible.  My son was diagnosed at 3 and we got him into the school preschool soon as possible.

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I asked yesterday because when he was diagnosed the Dr. didn't say where he was on the spectrum just that he's autistic. The Dr. Said it's because some young kids aren't used to the question answer. Or another person asking the child to perform certain task. When we go back in six months they will redo it because his score came out to be 67 at the end of August. They're confident he's smarter than that. I know he's smarter than that. I at this point don't care where he's at as long as he gets the services he needs.
My son is also two years old.
kajira
by Emma on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:57 PM
IQ tests don't really work for many autistic people, I'm a pretty high functioning autistic adult, and in order to pass my IQ test for average so I wasn't stupid - she had to prompt me to answer her in my 20's!!! I just... would think the answers and with out her prompting me to give the answers out loud, I wouldn't speak them to her... and I'm an adult... so at 2, especially when speech is developing for a NORMAL kid - it's hard to gauge how smart they are. IQ also has no baring on autism. I'm classically autistic by the ADOS scale, with almost max points as an adult. (I'm 2 points short of hitting the max points on the test...)

But I'm married, I have two children, I want more kids, I'm a successful adult by most peoples standards, I even went to college for a couple of years before settling down and getting married to be a full time wife and mom.

If anyone would have asked my family if they figured this is where I would have ended up as an adult, their answer would have been no.

There is no way to know where your child will be in 20 years. Don't let the doctors scare you.
NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM
You don't need the actual diagnosis to start getting him the services he needs. If he's delayed, no matter the reason he should still be able to get into an early intervention program and you should be able to start him in speech and occupational therapy depending on the areas that he needs to work on. I waited for the diagnosis, not knowing any better and now I wish I would've gotten her the services started sooner. Good luck momma!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)