Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

So frustrated!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM
  • 8 Replies

How much can we expect our children to listen to us and follow a few rules? I seriously do not have many rules in my house and I know a lot of the stuff he is doing are for sensory reasons-like, opening the refrigerator door or the sliding glass door at least 100 times during the day. So, lock them. Simple right? Well, he can unlock them or break something while trying. I am so tired of him spitting on my bed and throwing his juice glass on tbe ground when he is done with it (or not done with it-just throw the juice on down too, why the hell not?) He breaks stuff all of the time with his obsessions and I haven't found the magical way to redirect him to something he is actually intersted in. I keep trying new things and we just get back to the same starting point. We leave the house and go to parks and I try to fill the day with lots of activities, but when we get home it is the same thing again. I'm so frustrated and I am not behaving well at this point either. 

We have been up together since 3:30 last night and he simply does not take naps and my husband is out of town for the weekend. I am so tired. We could go drive for an hour and he might fall asleep, but maybe not. I just wish the day was over.

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM

HUG HUGE HUG.. And HUGE glass of wine! 

im so sorry.... 

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Hugs! I am sry that you are having such a hard time.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Big hugs! I'm pretty sure we all have days (and nights) like this.  Just hang in there, you are doing good!

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I feel your pain so much right now. It seems we are at the same point in our lives with our kids. I'm having to tell myself "this too shall pass" even though I hate telling myself that because I wanted this time to be a special time in my life .... getting to be a stay at home mom with a toddler, frustrating but rewarding right?

Well, all I'll say is that I've decided to take a step back and look at my daughter. See really what her interests are and build on them (even if those interests don't look like something she should be interested in .... you have to start somewhere I guess).

If he likes opening and closing doors over and over (my daughter loves opening and closing things as well, but its usually drawers, cabinets and smaller items .... i don't think she has the upper body strength to open doors yet so i'm lucky there)   I would give him a ton a items to open and close ... give him lots of options in hopes that he would enjoy doing one of them. Like, buy one of those containers you put your pills in for a week or month and open and close all the little boxes to show him .... see if he wants to open all the little boxes and close them all. Does he have any type of playhouse? Might sound odd .... I stuggle iwth the choice of buying large play items that my daughter may never have an interest in, but if he likes opening and closing doors and won't transfer that interest to boxes and draws and such, having a play door that he could open and close endlessly without causing problems would be useful.

Good luck and if you want to discuss more ideas you could pm me. Sounds like we are having very similar struggles and we could bounce ideas off each other.

NiyasMom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM
My daughter does many of the same things, so I feel your frustration. Hope the rest of the day went better for you and him; Hugs and prayers!!!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:47 AM

BIG hugs mama!

HippoCat
by Hadley on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much ladies for all your support and ideas. Some days you have it all together and that sing song patient voice just keeps coming out and calming you too. Other days...fewf! My sensory stuff kicks in and it's an all out battle and we both annoy each other all day long. Yea, that's  when I am not being the adult and it reminds me a little too much of my sister and I when we were little. I guess just a few hours of sleep will do that to you.

We did end the weekend well and after my husband came home Xander came over to me so sweetly and looked me in the eyes, touched my arm so softly and bent down and kissed it. My heart melted.

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Glad it got better.

Quoting HippoCat:

Thank you so much ladies for all your support and ideas. Some days you have it all together and that sing song patient voice just keeps coming out and calming you too. Other days...fewf! My sensory stuff kicks in and it's an all out battle and we both annoy each other all day long. Yea, that's  when I am not being the adult and it reminds me a little too much of my sister and I when we were little. I guess just a few hours of sleep will do that to you.

We did end the weekend well and after my husband came home Xander came over to me so sweetly and looked me in the eyes, touched my arm so softly and bent down and kissed it. My heart melted.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN