Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My Kid Needs Glasses

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:45 AM
  • 6 Replies

So Aidan had his vision tested last month (as a part of his triannual IEP) and we had gotten a notice home stating that he had tested at 20/100 in both eyes. It was suggested that he get his eyes tested again by a doctor. 

So DH and I took Aidan to a great eye doctor and she confirmed that he will need glasses to see. (He's nearsighted). The doctor also stated she thinks Aidan may be color blind. Aidan didn't 100% understand the test they tried to do in the doctors office to see if he really was color blind, but because my dad was color blind and the mom carries the gene, the doctor is 50% sure Aidan has it. But she assured us its no big deal if he's color blind. She joked Aidan just can't be an air force pilot. lol

So this next Monday we will go and look for glasses. Aidan is a little "iffy" about it. I've been talking to him about it for the last couple of days. He understands he needs glasses, but he said he doesn't want to wear them. 

Do any of your kids have glasses and how do you encourage them to wear them?

photo aidan_zps51060ed3.jpg
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 3 and has been in them for her whole life. We have soft plastic frames that are held on by a strap. The brand is miraflex. Those are the ones she tolerates the best.  We keep the on her with persistence. We put them back on every time she takes them off. We have done it since she was 5 months old. 

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM

both my sons do , never had a problem

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Hugs mama!  I don't have any experience in this.  

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Good luck! Hopefully he will like them. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bobcatridge
by Carol on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

My daughter got glasses when she was in second grade.  My daughter's eyes were bad enough that she wore the glasses without a problem.  She had some friends when she was in 2nd through 4th grade who got glasses.  Some of the girls wouldn't wear their glasses.  Some of the boys broke their glasses.  It all depends on the kid and how bad their eyes are.  My daughter is now in 7th grade.  She calls herself a nerd and thinks the glasses contribute to her nerdy smart look.  She likes it so it is fine.  The glasses are the first thing on and the last thing off.  Well most of the time -I have found her asleep in bed with the glasses on.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I bet he will rock those glasses! Sorry, I have no advice my kids don't need glasses (at least not yet) and I didn't wear glasses as a child and neither did my brother or sister.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN