Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Blow their nose?

my son is almost 9 and can not blow his nose. His therapist and teachers have tried to teach him, I have tried..so frustrated because he gets frustrated and is constantly sucking the snot in and saying he can't breath. Anyone have any tricks? 

by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I will definitely try this. Thank you very much! 

Quoting JTMOM422:

Can you try breathing exercises to see if it works? Have him breathe deeply with his mouth closed and only through his nose. Have him exhale hard through his nose with his mouth still closed. My son is 3 and he pretends he can blow. Of course he is only blowing with his mouth lol

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are 7 and 3 1/2 and can't yet. My oldest tries though. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I've tried this with Ashton but he got upset with me :/

Quoting emarin77:

I hold one of my son's nose nostrils and tell him to push out.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

This is how a friend of mine taught her son to blow his nose. After he started the breathing exercises she would just tell him to push the air out harder with his nose next time. She said that teaching it this way was the only thing that worked for her kiddo

Quoting Charizma77:

I will definitely try this. Thank you very much! 

Quoting JTMOM422:

Can you try breathing exercises to see if it works? Have him breathe deeply with his mouth closed and only through his nose. Have him exhale hard through his nose with his mouth still closed. My son is 3 and he pretends he can blow. Of course he is only blowing with his mouth lol

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Thank you for the suggestion!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

my son is 3 and does. we worked on it when he wasn't sick. i had my watch me without a tissue blow out my nose. we made it kind of a game. the we practiced with a tissue. i still have to hold the tissue, but for the most part, he gets the concept. hope that helps.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

You definitely are not alone!

Quoting MotoStar:

Mine is 7 and has a horrible time blowing his nose.

He hates doing it, doesn't do it well and is constantly "sniffy" because of it!

Glad I'm not alone!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:48 PM

When I worked in a preschool class it seemed like kids really didnt start getting the concept of blowing their nose until they were 4 or 5, some even later. It just seems it clicks for some kids and others of so much..  My poor son just can't seem to get the concept of blowing  his nose. I'm hoping this winter I am able to teach him how.

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

My 5 year old just started trying.  He asks for a tissue and really tries to and makes a noise, but I'm not sure if it is really effective at expelling anything or just something fun to do.  My other two 5 year olds can not really either. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Oh my goodness, Ashton is the same way.. Ick!

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

My son can't, and he is 6. The best he can do is sneeze it out... and that is just gross. It goes EVERYWHERE!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM

My son won't let me  anywhere near him with one of those..lol

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

no, mine is 10 and i still use a bulb sucker. poor kiddos. she tries so hard, but just cant manage it. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

At least he's trying!

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

My kids are 7 and 3 1/2 and can't yet. My oldest tries though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)