Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Thinking of pulling my son

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM
  • 9 Replies

I am seriousally conserving pulling my son from school. It just seems like everyday is a brand new complaint he acts as if he is conserdiably unhappy and every time I turn around the teacher is writing me with some new complaint. I love teaching him new things always have and always will I really believe this is a step we need to take. Anyone else ever feel this way?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM
How old is he?

I have thought of homeschooling but dh is very much against it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dmoodycollins
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Yes, Two years ago I felt the same way.Always something.I came across a private school for ESE students.It's a small school but it has been a God sent.I did look into homeschooling just make you have a active group to meet with for the social skills.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:24 AM

How old is he?  I've never felt that way but understand how you can in this situation.  Hugs!

amonkeymom
by Amy on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I've thought about homeschooling a few times and it's still on the table for consideration here.  I honestly think if you feel you can handle teaching him and he'll do better learning from you, that it's probably the best thing for him.

MotoStar
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I pulled my 7 year old because of similar problems.

He was constantly getting into trouble. Showing behaviors that he would never show at home. Being completely overstimulated and distracted by the school environment. 

It was seriously, like Jekyll and Hyde. School turned him into a monster.

Now that he is at home, his attitude has greatly improved and he is thriving academically!

Best decision that I could have made.

I will warn you though. It takes a lot of patience and a lot of time. Homeschooling my son is like a full time job. Make sure you are ready for it and that you can handle it.

Domain of the Mad Mommy
(rambling about kids, cooking and life)

wildchild.com
by Janine on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM
No...We've been lucky his teachers have all been great. But if I was your situation I would definitely consider it.
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM

If you feel this is best for him than I say do it. You don't need the teacher sharing nothing but complaints with you. She should know better anyways. I would tell her that she also needs to remember to compliment your son daily in her notes to you if she wants to write.

Arkmom2Two
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I have this problem too (daily complaints and unhappy kiddo).  In our case, although we have a 44 page IEP to deal with things, the teachers don't like to stop for sensory breaks and don't want to be inconvenienced with Social Skills help.  My son actually brings home better grades when they write on his paper that they had to help with his test (which is in our IEP and they are supposed to do anyway).  I've often times thought of pulling him and DH is in agreement - but what about social opportunities?

emarin77
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I would call for an IEP meeting first.  What is your son's school doing to help your son learn and why it is not working for him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)