Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

poor dog :(

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 15 Replies
I got this dog for my son for Christmas 3 years ago and recently he has been really mean to him. He pulls on his tail, ears, and twists his legs so he can't get away. He loves the sound of dogs yelping. Im really starting to worry if this is the beginning of something terrible. I now have to supervise if the dog is going to be out of his cage. I try to get him to touch gentle and show him how to properly play but the second I let go of him he starts being mean again. I'm starting to think it would be best if I found another home for our dog so he can have a better life. Any advise?
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Rehome the dog.

happy2b101
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this

we had to find a new home for my dog, it wasn't as extreme as you are describing -- my son was just rough with the petting -- but the dog was very little and so that was enough to make it get very skittish and scared and it wasn't fair for the dog.  I was very sad but I couldn't get my son to be gentle enough that it was going to be ok with the dog and so she was hiding all of the time...her life is better now in a new home.  I am sorry you are going through this, it is really hard...

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry to hear that your son is being mean to the dog.  It sounds like he needs to find better ways of releasing his emotions, and it isn't fair to the dog to keep him in an unsafe environment.  As hard as it may be, the pooch deserves a new home, and the sooner the better.  Best of luck to you guys and the dog.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:23 AM

I agree here.  Good luck and hugs!

Quoting Ajisai43:

I am sorry to hear that your son is being mean to the dog.  It sounds like he needs to find better ways of releasing his emotions, and it isn't fair to the dog to keep him in an unsafe environment.  As hard as it may be, the pooch deserves a new home, and the sooner the better.  Best of luck to you guys and the dog.

Princess111201
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:27 AM

i agree. your dog needs and deserves a good home. not saying yours isnt a good home, but if youre having trouble trying to get your son to treat the dog properly, its probably best for the doggie to go to a new home. how old is your son? maybe in a few years or when he gets a little older you can try and get a new dog.

mepuck237
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Hes 6yrs old and on the lower end of the spectrum. I don't think he knows that he is hurting him and that's what stinks about all this. He's not always mean and ihave noticed its usually when he's really hyper. My daughter loves this dog too so it almost feels like I would be punishing her too :(

Quoting Princess111201:

i agree. your dog needs and deserves a good home. not saying yours isnt a good home, but if youre having trouble trying to get your son to treat the dog properly, its probably best for the doggie to go to a new home. how old is your son? maybe in a few years or when he gets a little older you can try and get a new dog.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I would probably look for another home for the dog. You won't be able to supervise your son all the time around the dog. I know that is a hard decision to make but it's for the best for your son and the dog

benny1031
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I think that it would be in the best interest to find the dog another home.
mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM
I think the dog needs a new home. Not only is it not fair to the dog but the dog could lash out on your son or another child and really hurt them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you have relatives or friends nearby who could keep the dog temporarily? Maybe you could set up some visits with the dog and if your son starts hurting the dog, intentionally or not, tell him it is time to go because he is not being kind to the dog? Maybe the separation and his having to leave because of his behaviors would sink in more than just crating the dog in your own home when that happens? If your pooch is a beloved member of the family it would be a shame to break it up, but it also isn't fair to the dog if he keeps getting hurt. Or how about trying to set up an appointment with a dog trainer to work with your son? You know, they could teach him the absolute best ways to handle dogs and he would be learning from a "pro" as it were.  In my family, the pros always outweigh what silly old mommy has to say.  Just thinking out loud here and I hope you find a good solution for this situation.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)