Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
I got this dog for my son for Christmas 3 years ago and recently he has been really mean to him. He pulls on his tail, ears, and twists his legs so he can't get away. He loves the sound of dogs yelping. Im really starting to worry if this is the beginning of something terrible. I now have to supervise if the dog is going to be out of his cage. I try to get him to touch gentle and show him how to properly play but the second I let go of him he starts being mean again. I'm starting to think it would be best if I found another home for our dog so he can have a better life. Any advise?
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Replies (11-15):
mepuck237
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I have asked my whole family if they can take him. They all have too much on their plate right now. There's a local agency that I found last night that may be able to foster him out temporarily so I have my fingers crossed for that

Quoting Ajisai43:

Do you have relatives or friends nearby who could keep the dog temporarily? Maybe you could set up some visits with the dog and if your son starts hurting the dog, intentionally or not, tell him it is time to go because he is not being kind to the dog? Maybe the separation and his having to leave because of his behaviors would sink in more than just crating the dog in your own home when that happens? If your pooch is a beloved member of the family it would be a shame to break it up, but it also isn't fair to the dog if he keeps getting hurt. Or how about trying to set up an appointment with a dog trainer to work with your son? You know, they could teach him the absolute best ways to handle dogs and he would be learning from a "pro" as it were.  In my family, the pros always outweigh what silly old mommy has to say.  Just thinking out loud here and I hope you find a good solution for this situation.  :)

kajira
by Emma on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM

My son is mean to animals, and it's not a stage he's outgrown... with supervision he'll be nice to the animals, but if you turn your back, he'll be mean on purpose. He knows it's wrong, but he just gets something out of it, that I don't understand.

For some, learning how to properly interact is the reason they need help - but for some kids, they actually LIKE being mean to the animals and that's a different issue altogether. I just supervise my son with the animals and he's not allowed to be alone with them.

I'm autistic and being mean to animals isn't something I understand.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Well, if your son is being mean to this dog now and you give it away, does the problem really go away? I don't know how old your son is but at some point you are going to have to teach him kindness and maybe this is as good a time as any. I don't mean that you should let him hurt the dog but if he old enough for consequences when he does hurt the dog maybe he could learn to be kind. Could this turn out to be a learning tool? I am sorry you are facing such hard choices...xo

HippoCat
by Hadley on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Can you try having him interact with the dog after he has done some sensory stuff that calms him so he will be more mellow? Maybe have some music on that is soothing that can take his attention off the sounds the dog is making? What a hard decision you are trying to make.

patnic
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Get a new home for that dog asap.  I'm sorry, but that is horrible to keep an animal that is getting abused.  Take it to a shelter - anything, but don't let it get tortured.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN